St. Alphonsus (1850-1917)
The cemetery was sold to Baltimore City in 1917. There were 2431 bodies, many which were moved to Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery at 4430 Belair Road. The cemetery was operated by the Redemptorist Fathers and served St. Alphonsus, St. James the Less and St. Michael’s the Archangel. St. Alphonsus is still operational as is St. Michael’s the Archangel.
Locals referred to the cemetery as ‘Home Sweet Home’. The cemetery locations were as follows:
Several sources state that there was a church and cemetery
on the same site at Saratoga and Park Avenue under the name of **St. John’s
German Church (1800-1833) also St. John the Evangelist. The church was an old wood structure that was
replaced with the beautiful St. Alphonsus.
There doesn’t appear to be any records to indicate where the bodies from
St. John’s were moved.
St. John’s (2nd Cemetery) (1833-1873) was located at Madison Avenue, Robert Street and Druid Hill Avenue. This cemetery was used until 1873.