Churches‎ > ‎

Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran-Baltimore

1885

 

Rev. C.F.A. Kaessmann began a ministry with Lutherans around Albermarle Street.

1886

 

November 28th - worship service held at Patterson Hall.

1887

 

Summer- Chapel on Eager Street near Broadway was purchased with financial assistance from the Bauernschmidt family.

1890

 

Rev. William Batz installed as Pastor.

1896

 

Rev. Jacob Burkhart installed as Pastor.

1899

 

Rev. Francis C. Verwiebe (Missouri Synod) installed as Pastor.

1903

 

July 12th - A windstorm severely damaged the Church. Building abandoned.
August 13th - On legal advice, St. Peter's Lutheran Church formally disbanded.
August 13th - A group of members of the former St. Peter's Lutheran Church met under leadership of Rev. Francis C. Verwiebe and organized as "Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church" affiliated with the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Services held in Faith Presbyterian Church at Broadway and Gay St.
August 17th - Organizational meeting conducted and Officers and Church Council elected.
September 14th - Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church incorporated under the laws of Maryland.
October 3rd - Ground Breaking Ceremony for Church Building at Oliver St. and Collington Ave.
November 15th - Cornerstone Laying Ceremony for Church Building at Oliver St. and Collington Ave.

1904

 

August 14th - Dedication of Church Building at Oliver St. and Collington Ave.

1908

 

Dedication of a one manual pipe organ. Dedication of two bells presented by the Ladies' Aid Society.
Rev. J. George Spilman installed as Pastor.

1909

 

Purchase of ground under Church and Parsonage.

1912

 

Addition to Parsonage is built.

1913

 

First renovation of Bethlehem Church.

1924

 

APurchase of 3118 Ravenwood Avenue. Plans drawn for new Chapel, Ground Breaking for Chapel at Belair Road and Cliftmont Avenue.

1925

 

Cornerstone Laying and Dedication of Chapel at Belair Road and Cliftmont Avenue.

1927

 

Sale of 3118 Ravenwood Avenue and purchase of 2216 E. Oliver Street as Parish House.
Dedication of a new Pulpit, Altar and Lectern.

1928

 

Second renovation of Bethlehem Church.

1937

 

Purchased 2226 E. Oliver Street as the Parsonage for Assistant Pastor and his family.

1940

 

Third renovation of Bethlehem Church. Hand carved figures of the Lord's Supper, Moses and St. Paul were dedicated along with reredos.

1946

 

Rev. William H. Kohn installed as Pastor. Rev. J. George Spilman became Pastor Emeritus.

1948

 

Addition to church to provide better facilities.

1949

 

Separation of Home Church and Chapel, forming Mt. Olive Lutheran Church.

1950

 

Renovation of the church basement.

1951

 

Fourth renovation of Bethlehem Church.

1954

 

September - Rev. W.H. Kohn accepts call to another congregation. Rev. J.G. Spilman recalled as Vacancy Pastor.

1955

 

March 14th - Purchase of 4213 Belmar Avenue Parsonage.
April 24th - Rev. Waldemar A. Rook installed as Pastor.
July 18th - Voters' Assembly resolved to relocate Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church.

1956

 

February 29th - Purchased 5 ½ acres of land with dwelling known as 4809 Hamilton Avenue.
July 15th - First Sunday School session conducted at 4809 Hamilton Avenue.

1957

 

February - First worship service held at 4809 Hamilton Avenue.
September 8th - Groundbreaking Ceremony for Church Building at 4815 Hamilton Avenue.

1958

 

January 21st - Church Building at Oliver Street and Collington Avenue sold to Southeastern District, LCMS, for mission work.
May 18th - Cornerstone Laying Ceremony for Church Building at 4815 Hamilton Avenue.

1959

 

March 15th - Dedication of Church Building at 4815 Hamilton Avenue.

1960

 

Dedication of new Moeller Pipe Organ.

1964

 

May 3rd - Groundbreaking ceremony for Education Building.

1965

 

February 14th - Dedication Ceremony of Education Building.

1966

 

Rev. Bruce V. Malchow began a congregation, Lamb of God. Worship service held at VFW Hall on Philadelphia.

1967

 

January 29th - Lamb of God purchased 8912 Philadelphia property.

1968

 

Rev. Waldemar Rook served Lamb of God as vacancy Pastor.

1972

 

Pre-School and Kindergarten established.

1975

 

July 13th - Installation of Rev. Raymond Rohrs for Lamb of God.

1977

 

December 4th - Dedication of the stained glass windows.

1978

 

July - Rev. Donald E. Bendewald accepted call to Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Grades 1 & 2 added to the School.
September 10th - Rev. Donald E. Bendewald installed as Pastor.
November 12th - Dedication Ceremony of Bethlehem School.

1979

 

Grades 3 & 4 added to the School.

1980

 

Grade 5 added to the School.

1981

 

Grade 6 added to the School.
Groundbreaking Ceremony for Lamb of God Church Building.
November - dedication of Lamb of God Church Building.

1984

 

Addition to the Educational Building for Bethlehem School.

1985

 

March - Handbells given to Bethlehem Church by John Rach.

1989

 

December 30th - Bethlehem Voters' Assembly resolved to absorb Lamb of God's membership and wellbeing into its own.

1990

 

"Soup & …" Lenten suppers began.

1992

 

Bethlehem School Playground constructed.

1996

 

Voters' Assembly resolved that women be allowed to serve as active members of Bethlehem Church Council. Spiritual growth of members assigned to newly appointed Board of Elders.

1997

 

June - Praise Service offered two services each month.
August - 1st Modular Building; Intro middle school.

1998

 

April - New Sound System installed.
July 5th - Rev. Martin S. Gilliland Ordained and Installed as Pastor.
2nd Modular Building erected for middle school.
September - Grades 7 & 8 added to the School.

1999

 

December - Rev. Donald E. Bendewald retires.

2000

 

Summer - Air Conditioning Installed.
Fall - Introduction of WOW (Wisdom on Wednesdays).

2001

 

October - Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church cedes property to help establish Living Water Lutheran Church (Formerly Lamb of God). Rev. Martin S. Gilliland becomes full time interim Pastor at Living Water Lutheran Church.

2002

 

January - Pastor Walter Schoenfuhs becomes vacancy Pastor at Bethlehem.
October - 1st annual Christian Fright Night.

2003

 

100th Anniversary year long celebration. Banquet on October 11th.
April - New Carpet installed.
September - Pastor James Kleinfelter accepted call to Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church.
November - Pastor James Kleinfelter Installed as Pastor.

2004

 

Purchase of Greller Property.
Spring - Front of church re-landscaped.

2013

 

New Logo chosen

 

Church Website:  http://www.bethleheminbaltimore.com/contact-us/

Rev. J. George Spilman 1939-1945, President of the Southeastern District, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.

Church Location:

4815 Hamilton Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21206
410-488-4455
Church office email:  church@bethleheminbaltimore.org.


Records at the Maryland Archives MSA S 1512-2470 (00/59/06/34)

Comments