First Evangelical Church
The original site was at the corner of Eutaw and Camden Streets. The building being dedicated on December 12, 1841. It was organized with a resolution passed in 1840 by the Conference of the Evangelical Association. It was dedicated as the German Evangelical Emmanuel church. The church was led at the time by Rev. Jacob Boos, who was in Baltimore to do missionary work among its German residents.
He preached his first sermon in the house of Mr.
Haupt, who resided on Dover street. In a short time they rented the small
chapel of a Methodist church at Fremont and Raborg streets. This building was later used as a feed store. There were 42 in the congregation at that time, and the chapel
was named "Emmanuel." The congregation bought the chapel before the end
of the year. It was soon decided to build a new church edifice. The Camden and Eutaw Streets location. It was consecrated on December 12, 1841. The church was destroyed by fire on December 14, 1851, but reconstruction began the following spring. During reconstruction, however, the property was purchased by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company in July 1852. Rev. D. Berger was pastor at the time.
A corner lot at Greene Street and Cider Alley was purchased and a new church erected in the latter part of 1852. The name was changed to First Evangelical even though it was still popularly called, 'Emmanuel'. The pastor in 1881 was Rev. John Koehl.
The 1901 Baltimore City Directory indicates that the 'Evangelical
Association-Emmanuel Church, Greene and Cider al'. It appears that
after 1884, this church became known as Emmanuel Church and First
Evangelical and is shown on Edmondson and Fremont. A Baltimore Sun
article dated 4.23.1923 indicates 'that construction of a new church and
parsonage for Emmanuel Evangelical congregation at the southwest corner
of Garrison lane [Franklintown Road] and Baltimore street [2701
1887 the congregation purchased two lots at West Cross Street and
erected a chapel. That was dedicated in 1887 and grew enough to be
declared independent in 1897. See Third Evangelical below.
The Baltimore Sun on May 24, 1951 states 'Ground will be broken for the new church edifice and parish building of Emanuel Evangelical United Brethren Church on Frederick Road between S. Prospect and Enjay Avenues on Sunday May 27. The contract was awarded to George J. Clauss for $108,451. The architect was J. Alfred Hamme of York PA. The church is currently located at West Baltimore Street and Franklintown Road. The church merged in 1968 with the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist denomination. Check http://www.emanuelmethodistchurch.com for further details.