Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church-Hagerstown
Source: History of Western Maryland, Vol II, Thomas J. Scharf, 1882
The project of forming a new Lutheran church in the area began in the spring of 1868. The first meeting that concluded this was a good idea, was held in May of that year. The impetus behind the formation was the fact that a majority of the members of St. John’s were upset that the old edifice of St. John’s would not be remodeled. When all attempts to update failed, 60 to 70 families left St. John’s to form the new church. The split was equitable. So on May 13, 1868, the group met and began development. Subsequent meetings committees were appointed (see below).
A lot was chosen on West Franklin Street and purchased for $3,500.00 from E. Reche. The architech was C.S. Witzel (Danville, PA). Ground was broken on October 1, 1868. The ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone took place on November 7, 1868 with Rev. Joel Swartz officiating. The church building cost $30,000 not including any of the furnishings, which cost $2,000. When completed there was a $10,000 debt on the church. The congregation was formally organized on August 29, 1869. At that time, it had about 129 members. The church was dedicated on October 3, 1869. The dedication sermon was preached by Rev. F.W. Conrad and Rev. T.T. Titus of St. John’s, was named as the pastor of their new church.
In 1870, the bells were placed in the steeple, costing the congregation $1,500 and a new organ was also purchased. The congregation also that year purchased a parsonage at a cost of $3,000. It was also this year, April 3, 1870, that Rev. Titus, due to failing health resigned. The next pastor did not arrive until 1872.
· Subscription committee: Martin Startzman, Jonathan Schindel, John E. Herbst, M.D., Philip Wingert, Jacob Roesner, A.J. Weise.
· Procuring a lot and site selection: David Artz, Otho Swingley, William H. Protzman
· Constitution and Bylaws: A.J. Weise, William Protzman, Otho Swingley, Wilson Hays, John Byers
· Procuring Design: Dr. J.E. Herbst, William Householder.
· Building Committee: Dr. J.E. Herbst, Ortho Swingley, George W. Stover, Lewis L. Mentzer, Jonathan Schindel.
· Trustees of the new Congregation: M. Startzman, W.L. Hays and F.J. Posey.
· Rev. T.T. Titus 1868-1870
· Rev. W. H. Luchenbach 1872-1874
· Rev. John Williams 1875
Church Website: http://www.tlchag.org/