German Orphan Home

The General German Orphans Home was designed by Architect George A. Frederick (Prominent German Architect that designed many significant buildings of that era, including Baltimore City Hall).  See the website http://georgeafrederick.com
The General German Orphans Home 1905

The ‘Home’ is the oldest of its kind in Baltimore and still exists today.  The project began in 1863 when Martin Kratt, pastor of the German Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Church appealed to the German population of Baltimore.  On July 12, 1863, it was organized and founded as the German Protestant Orphan Association of the City of Baltimore.  The name was changed in 1866 to make it non-secular, feeling that the home would receive greater support.  This change invited the entire German population to embrace and befriend the home regardless of creed, which they did.

 

The reports of the home were printed in German until 1896 when the reports appeared both in English and German.  Around 1921 the reports were done in English only. 

 

The original site of the home was at 69 Pratt Street near Canal (Central Avenue).  It opened on July 12, 1863.  They soon outgrew this facility and moved to 69 North Calvert Street. The move was made in July 1867.  One of the reports that year indicated that their were 43 children, 30 of school age (22 boys and 8 girls).  At that time the children attended the Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Church School.  Later they would also attend the Scheib School and Knapp’s.  When the districts opened the English-German schools, most would attend the public schools.   Later in the early 20s, many of the children attended public high schools.  The first boy graduated from Catonsville High School in 1926. The address for the home in the Weishampel's Baltimore Guide in 1896 (pg. 83) lists Aisquith near Orleans.

 

Some important provisions within the 1866 constitution:

  1. The purpose of the orphanage is to admit needy and derserving orphans of both sexes, without regard to creed, of German ancestry (the grandparents from the father’s or mother’s side must have been born in Germany).
  2. Half-orphans (those who had a living mother or father) would be admitted by decree of the board of directors.
  3. The name shall be ‘The General German Orphan Asylum of the City of Baltimore’.  It will continue that name.
  4. Both German and English will be taught, however, German will remain the official language of the house.
  5. All children admitted will not be less than two years, nor more than ten years.
  6. When the children become fourteen, they will leave the Home and the Board of Directors shall see that the boys are placed properly with tradesmen or businessmen, which will accept them as apprentices.  Girls will be placed as domestics or choose an honorable career.
  7. Boys stay under the supervision of the house until the age of 21; girls 18.
  8. A board of 25 (which still exists)

 

The Home was kept liquid by the contributions of the many German organizations in the area at that time.  All organizations which were members of the General German Orphan Asylum would remit 5 cents per quarter for each member they had on their books.  If the contributions were not sufficient to maintain the home, the clubs could be assessed.   Eventually collectors were established for specific districts and they would collect individual membership dues.  This practice was discontinued when checks evolved and most members mailed their dues.

 

There were several committees established.  One which was an important position was that of inspector.  The home was inspected/visited by the inspection committee twice a week. 

 

The home was struck with a scarlet fever outbreak around 1870.  The children couldn’t be separated so the healthy and the sick lived together.  The results were nineteen children infected, two died.  The home always had wonderful medical care provided by several physicians.

 

They outgrew their Calvert Street location and in 1872, bought the property belonging to the Carmelite Sisters on Aisquith Street.  The building was not suited for a children’s home so a new building was erected.  It was ready for the children in 1874.  It is interesting to note that on each of these moves, the home created debt.  In the 1888 Baltimore City Business Directory the Home was listed at Aisquith Street near Orleans.  The debt was in large part eliminated by the actions of the Ladies’ Sewing Society and the Ladies’ Auxiliary (1898), located at the same address according to the 1888 Directory.  The two groups merged in 1925.    They held multiple fund raisers and in almost all of the moves help to eliminate or lessen the mortgage burden. 

 

Their next move was the move to Catonsville.  The estate ‘Belmont’, which was the estate of Talbot Albert was purchased.  The property consisted of 44 acres.  Walter Gieske was the architect in 1920.  By 1924, the children had been relocated to Catonsville.  Over the next few decades other buildings were added.  A new cottage was added due to the generosity of Ferdinand Meyer; a swimming pool was added due to the generosity of Mrs. Adele Von Heine-Wilcox and in the late 50s, due to the generosity of Henry Herzinger, who had served as president of the home for many years, a recreational building was added. 

 

The home still exists today.  The name has been changed to ‘The Children’s Home’.  See their website for information:  http://www.thechildrenshome.net/index.php
 
Was your ancestor an orphan?
 

 

Their physical location is still in Catonsville:

The Children's Home

205 Bloomsbury Ave.

Catonsville, MD 21228

PH: 410-744-7310

FAX 410-455-0071

 

The Presidents of the General German Orphan Home in Baltimore:

 

Johann Christian Krantz                                    1863-

Gustav Facius                                                    1870-1875

John Lorz                                                          1887-1891

John C. Johannesen                                          1918-1925       (A former ward of the home)

Henry Herzinger                                               1925-1955

 

The Superintendents of the General German Orphan Home in Baltimore:

 

Mr. & Mrs. Friedrich Gleichmann                     1866-1879

Mr. H.L. Lang                                                    1881-1892

Mr. & Mrs. Carl Schmied                                  1894-1922

Mr. & Mrs. Wiley                                              1935-1955

Mr. J. W. Eisenhauer                                         1955-1960

Mr. & Mrs. Harold T. McTeer                          1960-

 

The Physicians of the General German Orphan Home in Baltimore:

 

Dr. Friedrich Hess

Dr. Frank C. Bressler (attended the home for more than forty years)

Dr. Joseph I. Kemler

Dr. Wetherbee Fort

Dr. Fred Andreae

Dr. Raymond E. Lenhard

AUGSBURG LUTHERAN HOME & VILLAGE

Sources:  Wikipedia; Village website at www.augsburg.org; 1900 US Federal Census; 1910 US Federal Census

Augsburg began on January 28, 1892, when Caroline Lang, a resident of Baltimore, MD, and wife of canned goods manufacturer C.C. Lang, became aware of two children without parents or a place to live. Determined to help, Mrs. Lang expressed her concern for these children with friends from Martini Lutheran Church who had gathered in honor of her birthday. The idea for a church-sponsored refuge was well received and they immediately responded by collecting $3.00 to support the orphanage fund.

The ministry quickly expanded its vision to care for seniors. After one year, Augsburg purchased its first building at 746 West Lexington Street in downtown Baltimore. In May 1892, “The Ladies Society of Augsburg Home” was established.  The ladies society was instrumental in providing funds for the children’s board and renovations of the newly purchased building.

When it became clear that larger quarters were necessary to support the growing ministry, the present 52-acre property on Campfield Road was purchased in Baltimore County in 1921. Subsequently, a new facility with a capacity for 35 adults and 60 children was dedicated on November 17, 1929, with 1,200 in attendance.

Over the next few decades, Augsburg continued to expand with a number of additions, including a nursing care wing and chapel.

The orphanage was the start and the ministry to care for seniors followed shortly after.  From 1892 to 1970, the orphanage cared for hundreds of children.  In the 1930s more than 60 children were being cared for at one time.  The only prerequisite was 1) no infants and 2) the absence of two parents.  The children attended school, learned trades and even played baseball.  They interacted with the many seniors…lucky kids to have so many grandparents.  The care for orphans was discontinued in 1970 and the children’s wing remodeled for additional living space for seniors.

Augsburg experienced more growth in the 1980s with the addition of 61 independent living apartments, forming the “Village.” Since then, three additional buildings have been added to increase the number of independent living apartments to 138.

In the 1990s Augsburg introduced an adult day care program and assisted living program. The adult day care program was held off campus at St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in Perry Hall until 2007, when the program was sold.

In 2012 Augsburg completed a total renovation of its Health Center into a progressive household model which includes six neighborhoods equipped with fireplaces, sun rooms, kitchens and hydrotherapy spas.

Many churches, other groups, and individuals have supported the ministry of Augsburg over the decades. One of the biggest supporters is the Augsburg Auxiliary, which began in 1893 when the “Evangelical Lutheran Ladies’ Society of the Augsburg Home” was incorporated.   This group worked tirelessly to form a Board of Directors, solicit funds, and spread the word about caring for seniors and orphans in need. They sponsored fund raisers which included fairs, bazaars, sewing circles and church dinners.  They were reorganized as the ‘Ladies Aid’ and the name changed again in 1946 to the ‘Augsburg Women’s Auxiliary’.  It changed again in 2007 to the ‘Augsburg Auxiliary’ eliminating the concept that only women could take part. 

Today, Augsburg Lutheran Home is an accredited rehabilitation center that offers independent living (138 apartments), assisted living (64 apartments), skilled nursing (123 beds in six neighborhoods) and rehabilitation.  It is owned and supported by more than 80 Lutheran Churches in the Baltimore area from the ECLA and Missouri Synods.  Delegates from the supporting churches elect the Board of Directors. 

Was your ancestor a resident of Augsburg?

Transcription of the 1900 U.S. Census record for 746 W. Lexington Street

Transcription of the 1910 U.S. Census record for 746 W. Lexington Street


The Directors of Augsburg:

Name

Term

Mr. August Vogt

1895–1920

Rev. Otto Weinbach

1920–1921

Rev. Christopher Merkel

1922–1924

Sister Elise Ebersach

1924

Sister Milda Knuepher

1925

Theodore Katenkamp

1925–1963

Mr. Leonard Buckheit

1964

Mr. Paul A. Hauer

1964–1968

Acting: Elof Peterson

1968–1969

Rev. Justus H. Liesmann

1969–1971

Rev. Floyd Duff

1971–1980

Rev. Norman O. Payne

1980–1990

Mr. Garret A. Falcone

1991–1993

Mr. Paul Joyce

1993–1995

Mr. Glenn Scherer

1995–Present

 

Facility Address:
6811 Campfield Road
Gwynn Oak, MD 21207
Phone: (410) 486-4573

ST. ANDREW'S CATHOLIC ORPHANAGE

Beginning in 1847 a Catholic orphanage, St. Andrew's that was under the direction of SSND sisters that began with two children of German parentage.  In 1854 the Redemptorists opened the facility at Central Avenue and Eden Street.  This too, was an orphanage for German children.   The 1888 Baltimore Business Directory lists ST. ANTHONY (German) Orphan Asylum at Central Avenue between Chew (Ashland) and Eager Sts.

Was your ancestor a resident of St. Andrew's Catholic Orphanage?
THE BALTIMORE ORPHANAGE
HEBREW ORPHAN ASYLUM

While researching area orphanages, I found the officers and Superintendent of the Hebrew Orphan Society.  For the most part, the officers and past Presidents and Superintendents were German.  I pulled the 1900 census so I could do the same as above for the German Orphanage, Augsburg and St. Andrews.  I was surprised to learn that there were very few children of German heritage residing in this home.  See nativity chart below. Of the 68 children residents in 1900:

 

Child’s Birthplace

Father’s Birthplace

Mother’s Birthplace

Maryland

33

0

1

Pennsylvania

4

0

0

Virginia

2

0

0

Russia

29

60

59

Germany

0

8

7

Unknown

0

0

1

Total

68

68

68

 

For background, the Hebrew Orphan Asylum was founded in 1872.  It was founded German Jewish immigrants and the land was donated by Mr.  & Mrs. William Rayner.  It is located on Rayner Avenue near Dukeland, in the Calverton area of Baltimore City. When the institution was founded it sheltered thirty-two children and grew to sheltering just shy of 100. In 1904 an addition was made to the asylum known as the Hannah U. Cahn Memorial, erected by the late Bernard Cahn in memory of his wife.  It is used as a gymnasium.  It is my understanding that a fire destroyed the first building shortly after it was completed.  The Jewish community raised funds to rebuild.  The building is the work of Edward Lupus (German Architect) and Henry A. Roby. 

The Orphanage was closed in 1923.  It became West Baltimore General Hospital and later was known as Lutheran Hospital of Maryland (where this writer was born).

First Chairman-Emanuel Hess

Presidents:

1.     J. Ulman

2.     Joel Gutman

3.     William Schloss

4.     M. J. Oppenheimer

5.     David Hutzler

6.     Leon Lauer

7.     Sidney Lansburg

Superintendents:

1.     Rev. Herffman  

2.     Rev. Gabriel

3.     Rev. A. Sonn

4.     Rev. Samuel Freudenthal (1885)

Source:  The Jews of Baltimore, by Isidor Blum (Historical Review Publishing Company), 1910; 1900 U.S. Federal Census Records; Weishampel's Baltimore Guide in 1896 at Calverton Heights.