Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church-Baltimore
Trinity Church 1905
History of Baltimore City & County; John Thomas Scharf, 1881, J.B. Lippencott & Company, publishers, Philadelphia PA.
The History of Baltimore, 1729-1895, Elliott , SB Nelson, Publisher
History of Baltimore 1729-1898, Elliott
Trinity is one of the oldest German churches in the city. It was located on Trinity Street east of High Street. It was organized in 1839. The congregation was very large during the mid 1800s, and neither the church, nor their pastor, at that time had any synodical connection. They claim, however, to be Lutheran.
They were formerly connected with the old Pennsylvania Synod.
Although Trinity Lutheran Church in Baltimore was once one of the largest and most active congregations in the city, sadly after 160 years, the congregation came to an end in the mid 1990s.
On a photo expedition on July 4, 2010, we did find Trinity and High, but found nothing that resembled a church, especially an older church. We found two buildings that could have possibly been churches. The first was at the corner of Trinity and High Streets and the front/side of the building had been blocked in what appears to be a large window..could have been a church building. The larger building further down the street, was a possibility strictly based on its size.
The church apparently moved in the 1920s to McElderry and Port Streets and merged with another congregation in 1996. There is a church at McElderry and Port Streets. The church is now occupied by Amazing Grace Lutheran Church.
Rev. Mr. Guistiniani
Rev. Father Heyer
Rev. W. Weyl
Rev. Mr. Weimann
Rev. Martin Kratt
Rev. W. Strobel
Rev. Jacob Pister
Rev. C.F.A. Kaessmann
Rev. E. Hartmann
Rev. F.A. Sterger