Of the seven members of Baltimore's first council, four were Germans: Jacob Sterrett, Engelhart Yeiser, George Lindenberger and Peter Hoffman.
Susan L. Aumann (7-1-1960 to )
House of Delegates 2002-Present
Ms. Aumann was first elected to the House of Delegates in 2002. Member of the House since 2003. Deputy Minority Whip. Member, Appropriations Committee (Oversight Committee on Pensions, Oversight Committee on Personnel, Transportation and the Environment Subcommittee). Member, Joint Audit Committee; Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics, Joint Committee on Pensions. Member, Women Legislators of Maryland.
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, July 1, 1960. Notre Dame Preparatory School, 1979. College of Notre Dame of Maryland, B.A., Business Administration and Management, 1983. University of Baltimore, Accounting and Auditing, 1986–87. Accountant and Auditor.
R. Karl Aumann (5-17-1960 to )
Governor Ehrlich (see profile) appointed R. Karl Aumann to be Secretary of State of Marylandon January 15, 2003. Mr. Aumann was confirmed unanimously by the State Senate on January 31, 2003. Born in Baltimore, Maryland, May 17, 1960, Mr. Aumann graduated from Calvert Hall College High School in 1978. Mr. Aumann graduated from Loyola College in Maryland with a B.A. in political science in 1982. He received his J.D. in 1985 from the University of Baltimore School of Law and was admitted to the Maryland Bar in 1986.
As an attorney, he was an associate with the Towson firm of Power & Mosner (now Bodie, Nagle, Dolina, Smith & Hobbs) and later with the Baltimore office of Miles & Stockbridge. During his five years with those firms, Mr. Aumann specialized in toxic tort, product liability and medical malpractice litigation.
Long active in Maryland's Republican Party, Secretary Aumann was president of the Loyola College Republicans for two years and was elected First Vice-Chairman of the Maryland Federation of College Republicans in 1981. In 1983, he helped found the North Central Republican Club of Baltimore County where he served as president and vice-president. He was elected a member of the State Central Committee for Baltimore County in 1986 and again in 1990.
In 1991, Mr. Aumann was appointed by President George H. W. Bush as counsel and senior policy advisor to the Appalachian Regional Commission. When Governor Ehrlich was elected to the U.S. Congress in 1994, Mr. Aumann became his Chief Administrator and District Director, a position he held until 2003. His responsibilities included office oversight and policy development, with special focus on international relations. Secretary Aumann chairs the Governor's Subcabinet on International Affairs, the Governor's Commission on Maryland Military Monuments and sits on the Governor's Interagency Council for the Nonprofit Sector.
Marie Oehl von Hattersheim Bauernschmidt (1-7-1875 to 3-19-1962)
Source: Remember When, the Baltimore Sun, November 03, 1996
Marie Oehl von Hattersheim Bauernschmidt was better known as Mrs. B. She was a product of South Baltimore and married beer baron Bauernschmidt and for over 50 years was a critic of politicians and worked tirelessly for the betterment of the city schools. She rallied the population against gambling, liquor stores and for a better police department. Mrs. B. waged wars against some of the biggest politicians of her day, including mayors Broening, McKeldin and D’Alesandro. She was a regular visitor and a familiar face at City Hall.
Her radio shows that were broadcast on the eve of elections and began in 1927 became traditions. A lifelong Democrat with decidedly independent political views, she stated more than once that she had to hold her nose while voting the ticket.
She once said, "You have to handle politicians with kid gloves and you have to have a rock in your mitt.' Fearless, she pressed her campaigns far beyond the city line to the state legislature and even Congress.
She lived at 1 W. University Parkway, which was demolished many years ago. She is buried at Druid Ridge Cemetery.
Source: Angel of the Anzacs-The Life of Nola Lexford (Daughter in law of Marie Bauernschmidt)
Harvey Bickel (1885 to 12-3-1972)
Mr. Bickel was a native of Berks County, Pennsylvania and a graduate of George Washington University and the Johns Hopkins University. He came to Baltimore in 1914 and opened a law practice. He was a true historian. One of his achievements was a series of interviews with the last surviving eyewitnesses of the Lincoln assassination. He served on the Executive Committee of the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland and was an active member of the German Society of Maryland. He served on the board of directors of the Maryland Council of Churches.
Emil Budnitz (7-28-1862 to 1-13-1944)
Mr. Budnitz was born in Baltimore and attended the Baltimore public schools. He graduated from the Baltimore City College. He attended the Law School of the University of Maryland and received his degree in 1881. He established a successful law practice. In his early years of practice, he was associated with Peter J. Campbell, who was active in politics and once the President of the Maryland State Senate. He entered the political arena and was a successful candidate for the office of City Council of Baltimore, where he served from 1887 to 1890.
He formed a law practice with his brother Edmund and became recognized as an authority of real estate law.
He was a member of the German Society of Maryland; the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland. He enjoyed the game of golf.
Mendes Cohen (5-26-1796 to 5-7-1879)
(Grandfather of the one in profiles-Architects & Engineers)
Mendes I. Cohen was born in Richmond to Israel I. and Judith Solomon Cohen. In addition to Mendes, the Cohen family included sons Jacob, Joshua, Solomon, Philip, Benjamin, Joshua I., Edward, David and daughter, Maria. After Israel's death in 1803, Judith Cohen moved the family to Baltimore. Mendes I. Cohen worked with his brothers at Cohen's Lottery and Exchange and later at Jacob I. Cohen, Jr. and Brothers Banking House. He left Baltimore in 1829 to travel abroad. Between 1829 and 1835, he visited England, Russia, Turkey, Palestine, and Egypt, in addition to the majority of countries in Central and Western Europe. He became the first American to tour the Nile Valley. Upon his return to the states, Cohen served as a Delegate in the Maryland General Assembly in 1847, was a delegate to the State Peace Convention during the Civil War, and acted as Vice President of the Baltimore Committee of the Alliance Israelite Universelle. Mendes I. Cohen remained a bachelor throughout his life.
Augustus M. Denhard (9-3-1875 to )
Mr. Denhard was born in Baltimore, son of Adam and Caroline (Boss). He was educated in the public schools of Baltimore and received his degree in law from the University of Maryland in 1897. He was associated with the firm of Frederick Feldner. He was nominated for the House of Delegates in 1899 and was named Judge of Orphans Court in 1911.
Adam Deupert (3-17-1849 to )
Mr. Deupert was the clerk in the Court of common Pleas. He was born in Germany, the son of John and Eva (Hanselman). He was education in Baltimore at St. Michael’s Roman Catholic School. He began working in 1873. He was a member of the Baltimore City Council in 1893, 1894, 1895 and 1896. He was elected to the Court of Common Pleas in 1903 and again in 1909. He was the President of St. Vincent’s Male Orphan Asylum, Vice-president of Spalding Building Association; Director and Treasurer of the Hendler Creamery and a member of the KC Elks.
Gustavus A. Dobler (1839 to 9-4-1903) -Maryland State Senate, 1896, 1898
Born October 16, 1839, in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania. Son of Daniel and Barbara Ely Dobler, German immigrants. Married twice: Catherine Dobler; Ida Gertrude Gehring (b. 1862), 1875. Three children: Martin Luther (b. 1890), Emma Catherine (b. 1893), and Mary Christina (b. 1895). Died in Baltimore, Maryland, September 4, 1906; buried at Greenmont Cemetery.
Mover to Baltimore in 1858 and worked in paper business. Joined firm of Wheelwright & Mudge, 1860; later head of Dobler & Mudge, 1875. Served in Maryland Senate, 1896 and 1898; Republican. Member of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church; trustee, St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Seminary; director, German Orphan Asylum; member German Society of Maryland. Member, Baltimore Reform League; Civil Service Reform Association. (MSA SC 3520-14776)
Charter Member of the Maryland State Bar Association 1896-1897
Judge Dobler was of German descent and a supporter of the General German Orphan Home in Catonsville helping to raise $250,000 during a fund drive in 1922 while he was treasurer.
Judge Dobler is credited with naming and building the area known as Mayfield, which is surrounded by Clifton Park, Herring Run and Lake Montebello. This was formerly (1900) a tract of land owned predominantly by Judge Dobler. His house and the Eutaw Methodist Church were the first buildings in the area.
Robert Ehrlich (11-25-1995 to )
Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Maryland's 2nd district , January 3, 1995 – January 3, 2003. Alma mater Princeton University, Wake Forest University
Profession Attorney, Politician
Robert Leroy "Bob" Ehrlich, Jr. is an American politician of German descent who served as the 60th Governor of Maryland from 2003 to 2007. A Republican, he became governor after defeating Democratic opponent Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, a member of the Kennedy family, 51% to 48% in the 2002 elections. Prior to serving as governor, Ehrlich represented Maryland's 2nd Congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives and was a member of the Maryland House of Delegates.
Frederick W. Feldner (6-7-1865 to 8-9-1910)
Born in Baltimore, he studied law under Warden John F. Weyler of the penitentiary and entered the University of Maryland Law School, where he graduated with honors. He was retained by many building associations and focused his practice on real estate affairs. He was president of the Cape May Real Estate Company. His offices were in the Fidelity Building in Baltimore. He was also president of the Baltimore County Water Company; director of the Continental Trust Company, the Fidelity and Deposit Company, the Fidelity Trust Company and the German Bank. He accepted a position as manager for the campaign of Ex-Governor Edwin Warfield. He held the office of consul for the Republic of Columbia at Baltimore. He was tragically killed in a automobile accident with his wife, daughter and son-in-law. The vehicle they were driving in was struck by a train.
William Frank (2-4-1960 to )
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, February 4, 1960. Attended Archbishop Curley High School; Mount St. Mary's College,B.A., (political science), cum laude, 1982; The Johns H opkins University, M.A.S. (administrative science), 1992. Consultant, St. Joseph Medical Center, 2007-. Vice-President of Marketing, Maryland Credit Union League, 1984-89. Assistant Vice-President, Public Affairs Division, 1989-96, and Assistant Vice-President and Relationship Manager, 1996-99, Development and marketing consultant, Archdiocese of Baltimore, 1999-2003. Allfirst Bank. Volunteer cook, Christopher Place Employment Academy, 1988-94. Board of Directors, Action for the Homeless (now Center for Poverty Solutions), 1992-96. Fr. O'Neill Council, Knights of Columbus, 1994. Board of Governors, Rodgers Forge Community Association, 1995-97. Board member, Home School Association, Immaculate Conception School, 1998-2000. President's Council, 1998-, and Marketing Advisory Council, 2000-, Mount St. Mary's College. Board of Directors, Independent College Fund of Maryland, 1998-; Dulaney Valley Improvement Association, 2001-. Delegate, Republican Party National Convention, 2004. Member, North Central Republican Club. Member, Timonium Optimist Club; Towson Elks; German Society of Maryland. Life member, National Political Science Honor Society. Adjunct Professor, CommunityCollege of Baltimore County.
Member of House of Delegates since January 8, 2003. Chief Deputy Minority Whip, 2005-. Member, Judiciary Committee, 2007- (family law subcommittee, 2007-). Member, Appropriations Committee, 2003-04 (health & human resources subcommittee, 2003-04; oversight committee on pensions, 2003-04; public safety & administration subcommittee, 2003). Deputy Minority Whip, 2003. Assistant Minority Whip, 2003-05. Member, Health and Government Operations Committee, 2004-06 (minority health disparities subcommittee, 2005-06; public health subcommittee, 2005; public health & long-term care subcommittee, 2005-06). Member, Maryland Legislative Sportsmen's Caucus, 2003; Maryland Bicycle and Pedestrian Caucus, 2003-; Taxpayers Protection Caucus, 2003-; Maryland Veterans Caucus, 2006-. Substitute member, Board of Supervisors of Elections, Baltimore County, 1991-95. Member, Transportation Task Force, 2003; Task Force on Lending Equity within Financial Institutions Providing State Depository Services, 2004-05; Maryland Commission on Capital Punishment, 2008.
John Conrad Frick (3-28-1688 to 10-27-1761 )
John Frick, son of Heinrich, left the Palatinate and sailed for the U.S. in 1732. He landed in Philadelphia. He was one of the group of colonists who founded Germantown. He lived there until his death.
Peter Frick (11-9-1743 to 10-15-1827)
Peter was the fourth son of John, was born in Germantown and moved to Baltimore in 1770. He was the founder of the Frick family in Baltimore. He became a successful merchant in Baltimore. In 1797, an Act of Assembly incorporating the city of Baltimore, a mayor and city council were elected and Peter was chosen as a member of that first city council.
William Frick (11-2-1790 to 7-29-1855)-Judge
William is the son of Peter, born in Baltimore. He was educated at Moravian college in Nazareth, PA., and pursued his legal studies in Baltimore. He was admitted to the Baltimore bar in 1813. He specialized in admiralty, maritime and insurance law. He was elected State Senator from Baltimore City in 1837, was appointed by President Jackson collector of the port district of Maryland. In 1848, he was appointed by then Governor Thomas to judge of Baltimore county courts and associate judge to the court of appeals. He held these positions until his election to the superior court of Baltimore City. William Frick served the German Society of Maryland until 1832, when his numerous other public duties forced him to abandon his active work for the immigrants. He remained a faithful member of the German Society until his death in 1855
He served as a volunteer in the War of 1812 during the campaign in Maryland. The Maryland Historical Society has a Frick Collection of photographs.
James Swan Frick (11-30-1848 to 9-26-1927)
Born in Baltimore to William Frederick and Anne Elizabeth (Swan) Frick. Educated in the private schools of Baltimore and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1869. He entered the University of Maryland Law School and was admitted to the Maryland bar in 1872. He associated himself with his father in the legal profession until 1890.
Mr. Frick was a member of the Society of Cincinnati. He was a prominent outdoorsman and a member of the Maryland Historical Society, the Municipal Art Society, the Maryland Club (he was Governor from 1890-1909), the Baltimore Club, the University Club, the Baltimore Athletic Club, as well as several country clubs and automobile clubs.
He married Elise Winchester Dana, born in Augusta Maine where they were married in 1886.
James Swan Frick is buried in Green Mount Cemetery.
William Frederick Frick (4-21-1817 to1-25-1905)-Judge
Judge William F. Frick, oldest son of William, was born in Baltimore. He was educated by private tutors at Baltimore College and he continued at Harvard College, which he completed in 1835. After completing legal study under the direction of his father he was admitted to the Bar in 1839. He became one of the most distinguished attorneys in Baltimore. He took an active part in the Baltimore City school system and served several years as president of the school board. He was counsel for some of the more prominent commercial and corporate interests of the city and personally served as director in many of these companies including the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the Consolidated Coal Company and the Consolidated Gas Company
11-4-1856 to 9-20-1914)
EG Gans was born in Harrisburg, PA and came to Baltimore with his parents in 1870 and spent the remainder of his life in Baltimore. His father Rev. Daniel Gans was a minister of the Reformed church in Baltimore. After Rev. Gans retirement, he studied law and was admitted to the bar and elected judge of the Orphans’ Court, an office he held until his death. Edgar studied in the public schools and graduated at the head of his class in the Baltimore City College in 1875. He also led his class in the law school of the University of Maryland, where he graduated with his Bachelor of Laws degree in 1877. He began his legal practice with the office of John P. Poe. He was admitted to the Bar in 1877 and three years afterward was appointed deputy state's attorney, which position he held until 1888. In 1883 he became a lecturer on criminal and testamentary law in the University of Maryland. After his retirement from the State’s Attorney’s office, he bagan private practice. He was not a specialist and worked civil, criminal and corporate cases. In 1889 he formed a partnership with B. Howard Haman, the firm name Gans & Haman.
He was a trusted advisor to Cardinal Gibbons and the Catholic clergy. In 1900, he received from Loyola College and from Mount St. Mary’s College the degree of Doctor of Laws.
Edward Alexander Garmatz (2-7-1903 to 7-22-1986)
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Garmatz attended the public schools and the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. According to the 1930 federal census, he was the son of Herman and Marie Garmatz, both of Germany. The family lived, at the time, on Federal Street in Baltimore. He engaged in the electrical business from 1920 to 1942, and was associated with the Maryland State Racing Commission from 1941 to 1944. He served as police magistrate from 1944–1947.
Garmatz was elected July 15, 1947 by special election to fulfill the vacancy left by Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr., who had resigned the seat to become Mayor of Baltimore. He was re-elected to the twelve succeeding Congresses and served from July 15, 1947 to January 3, 1973. From the Eighty-ninth through the Ninety-second Congresses, Garmatz served as chairman of the Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries. He was not a candidate for reelection in 1972 to the Ninety-third Congress, and became employed by the International Organization of Masters, Mates, and Pilots Union. He was a resident of Baltimore until his death there.
He was a Democrat, was a U.S. Congressman who represented the 3rd congressional district of Maryland from 1947 to 1973.
The federal courthouse in Baltimore is named after Garmatz.
Mr. Grecht was born in Schlitz, Hessen, Germany. He was educated in the public schools of Baltimore and was a resident of South Baltimore. He was a member of the Baltimore City Council, 23rd Ward, from 1899 to 1909. He ran a cannery on Sharp Street. He is buried in Loudon Park Cemetery.
Mr. Grecht was married to Alice Virginia (1857-1916) who died at the age of 60 during a visit to Gettysburg. Mr. Grecht married a second time to Lena Mertz (1868 to 3-18-1941)
(Additional information and the photos of the Grecht Cannery was provided by Wilhelm Karn from Framrsheim, Germany. Mr. Karn's grandfather was the cousin of Wiliiam Grecht)
Jonathan Hager (1719 to 11-6-1775)
In 1739, Mr. Hager, a German immigrant purchased 200 acres of land in the Great Appalachian Valley between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains in Maryland and called it Hager’s Fancy. In 1762, Hager officially founded the town of Elizabethtown which he named after his wife, Elizabeth Kershner (also seen Greschnen) (1740). Their son Jonathan served in the Revolutionary War. Mrs. Hager died 7-25-1873 at the age of 78 years. It soon became flourishing, and by 1755 it contained over 100 houses, which by 1807, was increased to 300, besides a courthouse, jail and four churches. The town consisted in 1770 of more than 100 comfortable buildings. In 1771 Mr. Hagar was elected a delegate to the General Assembly of the Province, the first German to enter into politics in Maryland. He was declared ineligible because of his naturalization. The House of Delegates (within eight days) changed that law and Mr. Hagar was able to take his seat before the close of the term. Mr. Hagar was elected a second time in 1773.
Mr. Hager was accidentally killed November 6, 1775 by a large piece of timber rolling upon and crushing him while superintending the erection of the German Reformed Church at Hagerstown. He also donated three lots in Elizabethtown for the erection of an Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Fourteen years later, Jonathan Hager became known as the "Father of Washington County" after his efforts helped Hagerstown become the county seat of newly created Washington County which Hager also helped create from neighboring Frederick County, Maryland. The City Council changed the community's name to Hagerstown in 1813 because the name had gained popular usage, and in the following year, the Maryland State Legislature officially endorsed the changing of the town’s name.
(Source: Maryland online Encyclopedia and ‘The First Settlements of Germans in Maryland-published 1896 and Society for the History of Germans in Maryland-First Annual Report).
Louis Paul Hennighausen (12-18-1840 to 2-2-1918), Attorney, Author
His father was an accomplished lawyer from a sturdy Saxon family. He was born in Fulda, Prussia, the son of Heinrich Johann and Marie Schulz Heinnighausen. His academic education began in the schools at Hersfeld, Prussia and with private tutors. He emigrated to the United States in his 1865 and landed in Baltimore. He entered the service of the US as Company A, Eight Battalion, DC Volunteers, April 1861 and later the Forty-sixth Regiment New York Volunteers. In 1862 was promoted to first lieutenant. He was engaged in the siege of Fort Pulaski, Georgia; and operations in Charleston, South Carolina and the Peninsula Campaign. He commanded his company in the battle of Secessionsville. He resigned after contracting swamp fever.
He accepted a position of teacher at a private school in DC, but returned to Baltimore and continued his legal studies entering the Maryland Law School, where he graduated and was admitted to the bar in Baltimore in 1868. He operated a successful lawfirm, Henninghausen & Stein.
He was president of the German Society of Maryland (1887-1913). He authored the 1906 history of the Society. He was an organizer/founder for the History of the Germans in Maryland, serving as their president from 1901 until 1906, and penned many historical articles. He was a charter member and for many years the president of the General German Aged Home.
Sunpaper Obituary February 2, 1918: Louis P. Henninghausen was a noted lawyer, veteran and President of the German Society of Maryland. He died from injuries received from a fall from an electric car. He was 78 years old, an eloquent orator, litterateur and philanthropist.
Joseph S. Heuisler (2-17-1832 to 10-15-1899)
Mr. Heuisler was born in Baltimore. His father was a native of Munich, Germany and was a florist and horticulturist. Joseph was educated at St. Mary’s College in Baltimore in 1849. He became one of the legal staff of the register of wills for seven years. He began the study of law under James Buchanan, U.S. minister to Denmark. He served on the clerical staff of the orphans’ court of Baltimore. He was admitted to the bar in 1860. He and his son Charles practiced under the name of Heuisler & Son. He was a defense attorney and was involved in several famous murder cases.
Mr. Heuisler represented the twelfth ward on the city council for two years and served one term as the city examiner of titles.
He died in his home in Roland Park.
Charles William Heuisler (1-11-1854 to )
Charles, son of Joseph, was born in Baltimore and education at Calvert Hall and Rock Hill College. He graduated in 1872. He was admitted to the bar before the Supreme Bench of Baltimore City. He then became a partner in his father’s law firm. He was appointed judge of the Juvenile Court in 1908 and was appointed on April 11, 1909 to the Supreme Bench of Baltimore City. He was re-elected to the bench in 1909.
Thomas Foley Hisky (7-22-1865 to 9-7-1936)
Thomas Hisky, (German ancestry paternal -Joseph Hisky who immigrated to America from Vienna in the early part of the nineteenth century. Joseph was a piano manufacturer.). He was born in Baltimore and attended public schools and Baltimore City College. He began his law studies in the office of Hinkley & Morris, prominent lawyers in the city. He was admitted to the bar of Baltimore in 1886 and upon the death of Mr. Morris, the firm name was changed to Hinley, Spamer & Hisky. He was a director in the Central Savings Bank of Baltimore. He was appointed by Mayor Hooper as a member of the Commission in the City Charities, and appointed by Mayors McLane and Mahool, a member of the Board of Visitors to Baltimore City Jail (also having charge of the city’s reformatories). He was one of two referees in the bankruptcy for Baltimore City in 1898. He was a member of the Maryland Historical Society, the German Society of Maryland and the Children’s Aid Society.
Fetter Schrier Hoblitzell (10-7-1838 to 5-2-1900)
Mr. Hoblitzell, a Representative from Maryland; born in Cumberland; attended the primary schools and was graduated from the Allegany Academy, Cumberland, Md.; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1859 and commenced practice in Baltimore, Md.; during the Civil War served as a private in the First Maryland Regiment of Infantry, Confederate Army; resumed the practice of law; member of the State house of delegates in 1870 and 1876; reelected in 1878 and served as speaker; elected as a Democrat to the Forty-seventh and Forty-eighth Congresses (March 4, 1881-March 3, 1885); city counselor of Baltimore in 1888 and 1889; resumed the practice of law; died in Baltimore. He is interment in Loudon Park Cemetery.
David Hoffman, America’s first legal ethicicst (1784-1854)
Grandson of William, son of Peter, he is noted as the founder of America’s first original method of legal instruction, a social critic and a land speculator. His academic interests and publishing efforts ran from legal scholarship to religious history. His ‘Course of Legal Study’ became one of the most celebrated outlines of formal legal instruction in the U.S. and was presented to be employed at the recently established University of Maryland (1812) where he served as Professor of Law. In 1834 he was appointed to serve as the Director of the Digest of Laws of Maryland as a part of an early effort to codify Maryland law.
Louis Hoffmann (5-29-1859 to 2-26-1925)
Mr. Hoffmann was born in Augsburg and was primarily self-taught. He arrived in the U.S. at the age of twelve. He prospered in the tobacco import business until the tariffs imposed became extreme. In the same time, he was elected as a member of the Baltimore City Council. When his term expired he was appointed a Commissioner for Opening Streets and served in that capacity for four years. He also served in the Immigration Bureau as an interpreter. He ultimately became the Assistant Commissioner and held this office until his death.
He was an ardent supporter and advocate for healthy bodies and introduced and had passed the ordinance making physical education a part of the public school curriculum.
Charles Christopher Homer, Jr. (10-15-1870 to 3-9-1922)
Charles was born in Baltimore (son of Charles Christopher Homer-See Business & Finance) and attended Zion School, Loyola College and received his B.A. and M.A. and in 1894 his law degree from the University of Maryland. He went to work in the law offices of Luther Reynolds and George Willis and then with his brother Francis Homer opened the law firm of Homer & Homer until February 1896. In 1896 he was elected vice president of Second National Bank of Baltimore and later succeeded his father as president. At the time of his death he was President of the Savings Bank of Baltimore. He was also a director of the General German Orphans Home and a past Grand Master of the Masons of Maryland.
Francis Theodore Homer (1-6-1872 to 3-3-1930)
Francies was born in Baltimore (son of Charles Christopher Homer-See Business & Finance) Education at Zion, Loyola and the University of Maryland and worked in the law firms of Homer & Homer and Willis & Homer.
Francis Homer is buried at Druid Ridge Cemetery.
1-26-1856 to 5-31-1913)
George Konig’s grandfather George, immigrated from Germany in about 1815 and settled in Maryland. He was born at Northpoint, in Baltimore County. George was a member of Congress from the Third Congressional District. He as a self made man beginning his working life when only 6 years old, as a helper with the fisherman. He spent time in a packing house (Brinkley & Reaves) and at the age of eleven began working in the shipyard of Stephens & Numan in Fells Point. He worked there until he was eighteen. He continued his education and at the age of twenty-one was elected the president of the Union. Around the age of twenty-five, he went to work at the Baltimore Pulverizing Company, starting at the bottom and working his way up to the general manager’s position.
He became active in politics at the age of twenty one. He was nominated for the City Council in 1899 but was defeated. In 1903 he was again nominated and was successful. He served in the First Branch and was re-elected in 1905. In 1907 he was elected to the Second Branch and then carried the First Ward. In 1910 he was nominated for Congress from the Third District and was elected. He was president of the Shipcaulkers Union. He is buried at Baltimore Cemetery.
Frank Albert Kaufman (3-4-1916 to 7-31-1997)
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Kaufman received an A.B. from Dartmouth College in 1937 and an LL.B. from Harvard Law School in 1940. He was an Attorney, Office of the General Counsel of the U.S. Treasury from 1940 to 1941. He was an Attorney, Office of the General Counsel of the Lend Lease Administration from 1941 to 1942. He was a U.S. Lend Lease representative in Turkey from 1942 to 1943. He was an Assistant to chief, Psychological Warfare Board, AFHQ from 1943 to 1944. He was a Chief, Leaflet Division, Psychological Warfare Division, SHAEF from 1944 to 1945. He was an Assistant to general counsel, U.S. Foreign Economic Administration in 1945. He was in private practice in Baltimore, Maryland from 1945 to 1966. He was a Consultant, Psychological Warfare Department of the U.S. Army, Washington, D.C. from 1951 to 1953. He was a Lecturer, University of Baltimore School of Law from 1948 to 1962. He was a Lecturer, University of Maryland School of Law from 1953 to 1954.
Kaufman was a federal judge on the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Kaufman was nominated by President Lyndon B. Johnson on September 9, 1966, to a new seat created by 80 Stat. 75. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 22, 1966, and received his commission the same day. He served as chief judge from 1981-1986. He assumed senior status on June 16, 1986. Kaufman served in that capacity until July 31, 1997, due to his death.
He died in Baltimore, Maryland.
Source: Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
Anthony Walter Kraus (4-15-1888 to 4-8-1944)
Mr. Kraus was born in Baltimore, the seventh child of Anton Kraus and Katherine Walter, who had both been born and raised in Baden, Germany. They emigrated to this country and lived in New York. After the death of his father in 1894, they moved to Baltimore. He attended the public schools in Baltimore until 1899 and then enrolled at McDonogh School. Upon his graduation he obtained a position as a stenographer in the office of the Honorable Morris A. Soper. He undertook the study of law and entered the University of Maryland in 1908, completing the program in three years. He spent the early years of his professional life in the public law offices of Baltimore City and in 1908 obtained a law-clerkship in the office of the Honorable John C. Rose who was at the time the U.S. Attorney for Maryland. Mr. Kraus served as Assistant District Attorney under John Phillip Hill, leaving in 1913 for a position as Assistant State’s Attorney for Baltimore City, where he served until 1919. In 1919 he entered the City Solicitor of Baltimore City’s office where he was assistant to Roland R. Marchant. In 1923 he entered private practice forming Marchant & Kraus. After four years, he left private practice to accept the position of City Solicitor of Baltimore. After his term of four years, he again entered private practice, but again left in 1938 to assume a position on the legal staff of the New Amsterdam Casualty Company.
He was a Mason, a director of the General German Orphan Home, a member of the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland. He was a member of the American, Maryland and Baltimore City Bar Associations, the Association of Insurance Counsel and the Barrister’s Club.
Herbert F. Kuenne (9-8-1897 to 2-28-1971)
Mr. Kuenne was a lawyer by profession and a leader in the Lutheran Church. He attended the public schools in Baltimore, including Baltimore City College. He received his law degree from the University of Maryland in 1922. He was a member of Martini Lutheran Church and was active at both the state and national level in church matters. He served as president of the church council from 1944 until his death. He was a member of Board of Governors of the Lutheran Hospital and served as president of the Lutheran High School in Baltimore. He was a member of the German Society of Maryland and served as their president. He was also a member of the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland. He died while traveling to a meeting of the Missouri Synod in St. Louis.
John C. Kump (9-1-1878 to 10-11-1961)
John Carl Kump was born on Hanover Street in Baltimore and attended the Baltimore City Public Schools and graduated from City College. He studied law at the Baltimore School of Law. He was admitted to the bar and joined the firm of Louis P. and Percy C. Hennighausen. After four years he opened his own firm at 215 and later 231 St. Paul Steet.
He was a member and served on the executive board and acted as attorney for the General German Orphan Association. He was associated with the Caroline Street Permanent Building Association and the Paca Building and Loan Association. He was president of Long Point on the Magothy, Inc., a development corporation.
John Frederick Langhammer (11-17-1856 to 4-19-1916)
John Langhammer was born in Baltimore and education in the public schools, Knights private school and the Bryant & Stratton Business College where he graduated with honors. He became a partner in his father’s firm, E. Langhammer & Sons, wholesale grocers and shippers (The business was closed upon his father’s retirement in 1900). They had contracts for supplying the U.S. lighthouses and owned a fleet of vessels sailing under their own flag. In 1888, he was elected a member of the Board of Education. He served in this capacity for four years. He was a trustee and director of the St. Mary’s Industrial School. He was elected in 1882, for the First Branch of the Baltimore City Council. He was appointed by the City Council President, Hooper to chair the important, Ways & Means Committee. He was appointed a member of the Appeal Tax Court and retained that position when Mayer Hooper was replaced by Mayer Maister. He was chosen president of this court and served in this capacity until 1902. He resigned when he was appointed a United States Marshall by President Roosevelt, whom was his personal friend. He served in this capacity for eight years. During his term, he was responsible for ebbing the ‘Shanghaiers’ of the Chesapeake (a group of pirates who terrorized the oysterman in Maryland). He was also responsible for an act which resulted in the raising of the U.S. flag over every schoolhouse in the city. In 1912, he succeeded Colonel Washington Bowie as chief clerk of the Baltimore Board of Excise Commission.
Brantz Mayer (9-27-1809 to 2-23-1879) Historian, Writer, Surveyor, Editor, A Founder of the Maryland Historical Society.
Brantz Mayer was a prominent nineteenth-century Baltimore citizen, historian, and writer. He was born to Christian Mayer (1763-1842) and Anna Kat(h)erina (Baum) Mayer (1767-1843) in Baltimore, Maryland, on September 27, 1809, the youngest of ten children. His father came to the United States from Ulm, Württemberg, Germany, and settled in Maryland in 1784. After emigrating to the United States, Christian Mayer established himself as a trader. Later he became the president of a Baltimore insurance company. Eventually, he served as the consul-general of Württemberg to the United States.
Brantz Mayer attended public school, as well as St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore but was primarily privately educated. He completed his study of law at the University of Maryland and was admitted to the bar in 1832. Throughout this period, he traveled extensively throughout the United States, Asia, and Europe. On September 27, 1835, Mayer married Mary Griswold (1817-1845). Before her death in 1845, Mary bore five daughters: Katherine Mary (Kate) (b. 1836), Beata (b. 1838), Anna Maria (b. 1841), Dora (b. 1844-1878), and Mary (b. 1845). On November 15, 1848, the widower married Cornelia Poor (b. 1818), with whom he had three daughters: Cornelia (Nellie) (b. 1849), Jane (b. 1851), and Fanny (b. and d. 1854).
Mayer left the practice of law in 1841 to take a position as the secretary of the United States legation in Mexico. Following his return from Mexico in 1844, Mayer began his life-long study of, devotion to, and preservation of history, especially local history. He was involved in the establishment of the Maryland Historical Society in 1844 and served as its president from 1867 to 1871. Additionally, he served as president of the Library Company of Baltimore and proved vital in the construction of the Antheneum Building in the city. He later encouraged the state of Maryland to establish an archives commission and depository, which was ultimately housed at the Historical Society.
In 1844, Mayer published the first of many historical works, Mexico as It Was and as It Is. This first work was of particular importance, given the pending Mexican-American War. Other works by Mayer include Tah-Gah-Jute: or Logan and Captain Michael Cresap (1851), Mexico, Aztec, Spanish and Republican (1851), and Calvert and Penn (1852). He also edited several works, including the Journal of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, during His Visit to Canada in 1776 (1845), for the Maryland Historical Society, and Captain Canot; or Twenty Years of an African Slaver (1854). He continued to write and to publish until shortly before his death. In addition to books, Mayer regularly wrote editorials and columns for newspapers in the Baltimore area, especially the Baltimore News American.
Mr. Mayer was also the executor of John McDonough’s will and after settlement of such was instrumental in the establishment of McDonough School in 1860.
During the Civil War, Mayer served as a brigadier-general with the Maryland volunteers and he assisted in recruiting for the state. In 1863, he received the post of additional paymaster. In January 1865, he was promoted to major and paymaster in the United States regular army. In 1866, he was promoted again, this time to lieutenant-colonel (retroactive to November 1865) for his service during the war. Mayer retired from the pay department in 1875 at the rank of colonel.
Source: Brantz Mayer papers, Special Collections, University of Maryland Libraries.
The Maryland Historical Magazine (The Maryland Historical Society, Volume V, Baltimore 1910 provides a detailed biography of Mr. Mayer)
History of Baltimore City & County; John Thomas Scharf, 1881, J.B. Lippencott & Company, publishers, Philadelphia PA.
Theodore Roosevelt McKeldin (November 20, 1900 – August 10, 1974)
Member of the United States Republican Party, was the 53rd Governor of Maryland in the United States from 1951 to 1959.
Theodore McKeldin was born in Baltimore, Maryland. His mother, Dora Greif McKeldin, was the daughter of German immigrants. He attended Maryland public schools and later graduating from Baltimore City College. He furthered his education by earning his law degree from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1925 and with some graduate work at Johns Hopkins University.
McKeldin was elected mayor of Baltimore in 1943. As mayor, he oversaw the construction of Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.
McKeldin ran for governor in 1950. He was successful, defeating incumbent William Preston Lane, Jr. by the largest margin in state history up to that point. As governor, McKeldin endeavored to improve the state highway system, namely by establishing the Baltimore Beltway (I-695), the Washington, DC Beltway (I-95/495) and the John Hanson Highway (Route 50). He was a staunch supporter of interstate cooperation, saying once: "I rode by train over several state borders. I carried no passports. No one asked me to identify myself. No one had the right to. This is America."
In 1952, McKeldin delivered the principal nominating speech for the general at the Republican National Convention.
McKeldin retired in 1959 from the governorship and returned to his law practice in Baltimore. In 1963, he returned to public service after again being elected as mayor of Baltimore, focusing on the urban renewal of the Baltimore Inner Harbor. McKeldin served his second term as mayor until 1967.
He died on August 10, 1974, and is buried in Greenmount Cemetery.
Andrew Hartman Mettee (11-27-1871 to 9-30-1933)
Mr. Mettee was Secretary of the Society for the History of the Germans in Maryland from 1918 until his death on September 30, 1933, was born in Baltimore City on November 27, 1871, his father being Mezick Corner Mettee and his mother Helen Elizabeth Gardner. He attended school here, graduating from the Baltimore City College in 1889. From the University Maryland Law School he received the degree of LL.B. in May, 1892. For a number of years he engaged in the active practice of the law the while also serving as assistant librarian of the Bar Library. In 1899 he was elected to the post of librarian and also acted as secretary to the Library Company of the Baltimore Bar, both of which positions he held at the time of his death, having served at the Bar Library exactly forty three years.
A scholarly contribution, involving much reading and cataloguing is his "Subject Index" of books in the Bar Library. Becoming interested in the genealogy of his family, he traced his forbears back to a Mettee in the ancient city of Quedlinburg, Germany, where members of the family are yet prominent whom he visited and with whom he corresponded. At the time of his death he was engaged in the task of indexing and endeavoring to trace and fix the arrival of early German immigrants to our state. This was a task involving much patient search of church and other records. Unfortunately this remained uncompleted. Active in all library work, he was a charter member and one-time president of the American Association of Law Libraries; ex-president of the Maryland Library Association and ex-president of the Alumni Association of the University of Maryland School Law. He was also a past master of Monumental Lodge, No. 96, A. F. & A. M. His funeral services were conducted according to the simple rites of the Society of Friends, of which he was a member.
J. Frederick Motz (born 1942) is a United States federal judge.
Motz was born in Baltimore, Maryland. He received an A.B. from Wesleyan University in 1964. He received an LL.B. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1967. He was a law clerk, Hon. Harrison L. Winter, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit from 1967 to 1968. He was in private practice in Baltimore, Maryland from 1968 to 1969. He was an assistant U.S. Attorney of the District of Maryland from 1969 to 1971. He was in private practice in Baltimore, Maryland from 1971 to 1981. He was a U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland from 1981 to 1985.
Motz was a federal judge on the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Motz was nominated by President Ronald Reagan on April 23, 1985, to a new seat created by 98 Stat. 333. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on July 11, 1985, and received his commission on July 12, 1985. He served as chief judge from 1994-2001. He retired from the bench in 2010.
John Newcomer (12-18-1797 to 4-21-1861)
John, son of Henry (German-Swiss ancestry-Wolfgang Newcomer came to the U.S. in 1720 and worked as a carpenter) John operated a flour mill on Beaver Creek. He also founded the flour and grain commission firm of Newcomer & Stonebraker in Baltimore. He was the sheriff in his county and State Senator 1840-46, county commissioner 1846, delegate to convention which framed the new State Constitution in 1850, and county commissioner again in 1859. (John’s son Benjamin is in Manufacturing).
Charles Henry Nicolai (7-12-1834 to 6-25-1915)
Mr. Nicolai was born in Baltimore, the son of Charles Nicolai, born in Oldenburg, Germany. He was educated in the Baltimore City public and private schools and in 1853 entered a business career with a large import firm. He had considered a career in law, however the death of his father changed his outlook and he entered the business world. One of his first business ventures was the formation of a cement manufacturing company, where he was president for several years. The cement supplied by this firm built many of the notable buildings in Baltimore, including City Hall. He also had an interest in oil refining and was actively engaged in that business until 1896. He was a director of the B&O Railroad.
Mr. Nicholai was a staunch supporter of the Union and a personal admirer of President Lincoln, whom he frequently visited in Washington. He participated in the formation of the Democratic Conservative party, under the leadership of Governor Thomas Swan. Mr. Nicolai was a member of the Governor’s staff, with the rank of Colonel. He represented Baltimore county in the State Constitutional Convention in 1867. He served two terms in the Maryland Legislature (1867-1871) as a representative of the conservative element of the Democratic party. He was chairman of the Committee on Corporations. During his term as legislator, he introduced a bill, which was made law, that required the flag of the United States to be furled daily from the top of the state house in Annapolis.
He was a member of the first Board of Trustees of the Maryland State Agricultural and Mechanical Association.
Mr. Nicolai is buried in Green Mount Cemetery.
J. Frederick Requardt (9-28-1844 to )
Mr. Requardt was born at Bremen. He is a son of the late John J. Requardt who located in Baltimore in 1855, and established a wholesale cigar and tobacco business which was subsequently carried on under the firm names of J. J. Requardt & Sons and latterly Requardt Bros. J. Frederick Requardt attended Knapp's School, then entering into business with his father and brothers as above indicated and continued to be so engaged until 1879. He studied law with the late George C. Maund and Judge King, was admitted to the bar in 1885, and engaged in general practice at 322 Equitable Building. Mr. Requardt was secretary for a number of years of the Schützcn Association of Baltimore. He was married July 19, 1871, to Bertha, daughter of the late Adoph Yeager, of Hesse Cassel. Mr. and Mrs. Requardt had five children, Dr. Whiteall Requardt, of Baltimore; J. M. Requardt, attorney-at-law; Alice, Gustav Y., and F. Fred, Jr. The family lived at 2235 Eutaw Place and attend Franklin Street Presbyterian Church.
58th Governor of Maryland (1987-1995)
Mayor of Baltimore (1971-1987)
Comptroller of Maryland (1999-2007)
William Donald Schaefer (born November 2, 1921) is an American politician who served in public office for 50 years at both the state and local level in Maryland. A Democrat, he was mayor of Baltimore, serving four terms, from 1971 to 1987, the 58th Governor of Maryland, serving two terms, from 1987 to 1995, and the Comptroller of Maryland, for two terms, from 1999 to 2007. On September 12, 2006, Schaefer was defeated in his reelection bid for Comptroller by Maryland Delegate Peter Franchot in the Democratic Party primary. Schaefer was born in Baltimore, Maryland to William Henry and Tululu Irene Schaefer, Lutherans of German descent, on November 2, 1921. He received early education in Baltimore's public schools, and later graduated from Baltimore City College in 1939. After graduation he went on to serve in the Army during WWII. He worked at an Army Hospital in London. He left the military as a lieutenant colonel. Schaefer received an LL.B. degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1942 and an LL.M. in 1954. He formed a general law practice. He was elected to a seat on the Baltimore City Council in 1955. His tenure in City Hall led to many of Baltimore's major improvements including Harborplace. Other developments during his watch include the World Trade Center, Science Center, Oriole Park at Camden Yards and it is believed he later convinced then owner of the Cleveland Browns, Art Model, to bring the team, which became the Baltimore Ravens to town.
Governor Schaefer was buried from Old St. Paul's church at Charles and Saratoga Streets and is interred at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens Cemetery.
Johann Thomas Schley (8-31-1712 to 11-24-1790)
Frederick in 1746. He came with a colony of about one hundred families from the Palatinate in Germany in 1735, when only twenty-five. He was born in Mörzheim, Germany. He is the son of Nicolas and Eva Brigitta Schley. He received a solid education and accumulated some savings. He was a school teacher and a leader of the Reformed Church in colonial America. An entry in the Billigheim Reformed Church register in 1743 shows Schley as the school teacher in the small village of Appenhofen. The first record of Schley in Maryland was the baptism of his daughter in Octoer 1746 in the Lutheran Church record of the Frederick Congregation (this was the first record of a child in the new settlement). This would mean that emigration took place between 1744/45. A school house was built under Schley’s leadership in Fredericktown. Schley also conducted the Sunday services until a minister was found to assume the responsibilities. Michael Schlatter, the renowned organizer of the German Reformed Church in colonial America, noted in his diary in 1747: "It is a great advantage to this congregation that they have the best schoolmaster that I have met in America. He spares neither labor nor pains in instructing the young and edifying the congregation according to his ability, by means of singing, and reading the word of God and printed sermons on every Lord's day." For many years the church was without a minister but Schley was able to keep the flock together”.
Schley was also a master of calligraphy and loved music. Decorated sheets, as well as entire books of hand-written church music were mastered by Schley. The Historical Society of Frederick County has a collection. There is one leather bound volume of 282 pages of tunes and texts of 154 church hymns. Most of the hymns are those from hymnals of the Lutheran and Reformed churches, however, a few are those written by Schley himself. He also produced other Franktur pieces such as certificates for his pupils. Many are preserved by the Maryland Historical Society.
When an organ was ordered and installed in the new Reformed church in Frederick, Schley also became the organist.
A larger German-English dictionary was found bearing the inscription: “Johann Thomas Schley, Reform Schulmeister in Friedrichstadt, 1785” which is proof that Schley continued teaching school well into his seventies.
Other Notable Schleys:
His descendants helped build Maryland as well. Jacob Schley was a captain in the revolution. William Schley was a member of Congress and Governor of Georgia (1835-1837). Schley county was named for him. John Schley, son of Thomas’ brother occupied the Supreme Bench in Georgia, while another brother rose likewise to eminent judicial honor. Dr. Fairfax Schley was born in Frederick in 1793, and died there in 1871. He participated in the battles of Bladensburg and North Point in 1814. William Schley was one of the leaders of the Baltimore Bar, and a staunch advocate for Frederick. He was born in Frederickstown in October 1799. He began his practice in 1824. He moved to Baltimore in 1837. He was a member of the State Senate. A grandson, Winfield Scott Schley achieved fame as a naval officer (see profile-Military).
William Schley (10-31-1799 to 3-20-1872)
Mr. Schley was born in Frederick. His family is one of the earliest settlers in Maryland. He was a leader of the Baltimore bar. He graduated from Nassau Hall (College of New Jersey) in 1821, with top honors in every department enrolled. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1824. He began his practice in Frederick, but in 1837 moved to Baltimore. In 1836 he was elected to the Senate of Maryland and served 1836 to 1837 and part of the second session in 1837 to 1838. He resigned when he moved to Baltimore. In 1836 the state was in turmoil over the question of constitutional reform. As Chairman of the Judiciary and Chairman of the Committee on the Constitution, Mr. Schley was an integral part of the discussions. He prepared and reported the draft of the Constitution of 1836. This discussion and the unpopular report led to the ‘duel’ between Mr. Schley and Mr. William Cost Johnson. It is reported that Mr. Schley sent a peremptory challenge, which was accepted and on February 13, 1837 in Alexandria, Virginia, the duel was carried out. There was one single exchange of shots and both men were wounded, Mr. Johnson more severely than Mr. Schley. Mr. Johnson, at the time, informed Mr. Schley that what he had heard was rumors and that he never questioned Mr. Schley’s integrity. The gentleman made amends and became lifelong friends. The affair became known as the ‘pattern duel’.
William Schley (12-15-1786 to 11-20-1858)
William Schley was born in Frederick, Maryland and moved to Augusta, Georgia in the early 1800s. He was an American lawyer, jurist, and politician. Schley practiced law during the early years of his career. From 1825 through 1828 he was a Superior Court judge of the Middle District in Georgia. In 1830 he became a member of the Georgia House of Representatives. In 1832 and again in 1834, Schley was elected to the United States House of Representatives. He resigned from that position to become the 36th Governor of Georgia from 1835 until 1837.
During his gubernatorial term, Schley initiated the creation of the Western and Atlantic Railroad.
He died in Augusta in 1858 and was buried in that same city in the Schley family cemetery.Schley County, Georgia is named in honor of Schley.
Samuel D. Schmucker (2-26-1844 to 3-3-1911)
Samuel Davies Schmucker was born at Gettysburg, PA. He is a son of the late Rev. Dr. S. S. Schmucker, a native of Maryland, of German descent, one of the most prominent Lutheran divines of his day and President of the Theological Seminary of the General Synod of the Lutheran Church for more than forty years. Samuel D. Schmucker graduated from Pennsylvania College, class of '63, and from the Law School of the University of New York City, class of '65. He was located in Baltimore, entered into practice in 1866, and in 1876 formed a partnership with Mr. George Whitelock under the firm name of Schmucker & Whitelock, with present offices in the Fidelity Building. Mr. Schmucker was for some time President of the Bar Association of Baltimore City, President of the Board of Trustees of Baltimore Orphan Asylum, a Trustee of Home for Aged Men and Women, Henry Watson Children's Aid Society. Society for Protection of Children, the Home of Reformation, Maryland Bible Society, Maryland Tract Society and Sunday-School Union. He was married and resided at 1712 Park Avenue. He was a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.
Mr. Schmucker served as a sergeant in the Twenty-sixth Pennsylvania Regiment.
Mr. Schmucker was a member of the commission which prepared the charter of the city of Baltimore.
Mr. Schmucker also served as a Judge on the Maryland Court of Appeals from 1898 to 1911.
Otto Schoenrich (1876 to 2-8-1977)
Carl Otto Schoenrich
Mr. Schoenrich was born in 1876 in Baltimore, the son of Carl Otto, who immigrated to the U.S. after serving several years in the Austrian army. His father taught German and other languages in the Baltimore City public and private schools. The Baltimore City Public Schools established a Memorial Award to Carl Otto Schoenrich. It is awarded as a scholarship to the Baltimore City College graduating senior recognizing excellence in German. Carl Otto Schoenrich was a member of the Deutsches Litarisches Bureau.
Otto, the son, graduated from Baltimore City College in and from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1897. After he was admitted to the bar, he received his doctorate in civil law from the University of Havana and was admitted to the bar in Cuba. He served as a U.S. District Judge in Puerto Rico, and he participated in the financial rehabilitation of the Dominican Republic. He served to help draft new laws for Cuba and was president of a claims commission in Nicaragua, as well as a special commissioner to Santo Domingo. He was elected President of the Pan-American Society of the U.S. in 1949.
He joined the law firm of Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosley in New York and was a senior partner when he retired at the age of 89. He returned to Baltimore post retirement. He died in Baltimore at the age of 100. He served on the Executive Committee and as Vice President of the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland.
Karl A. Scholtz (7-3-1869 to 12-25-1941 )
Karl, the son of Paul and grandson of Karl Adolph Maximilian Scholtz was born near the town of Czenstochow. His family came to the U.S. in 1871 and settled in Locust Point in Baltimore. Karl went to school in Baltimore, but at the age of twelve had to leave school to work and help augment a meager family income. His first job was as an errand boy in an importing house. He then sold newspapers and established a well paying route. Later he became an errand boy and general utility man for the old Baltimore Type Foundry. He served here for four years and left to take a printing position with E. B. Read and Son, printers, which were located at 15 South Street. He remained with this firm for eight years. He became interested in the law and began attending night classes at the Baltimore Law School, where he graduated in 1895. He began his practice and developed an excellent clientele. He became known as an authority on savings and loan association matters and represented many in the purchase and ownership of a home.
He became interested in the Reform League and became the Secretary of the Just Representation League, which worked to secure a larger representation for Baltimore City in the General Assembly. He worked to get the city to use the public parks for playgrounds, athletics, sports, etc. He worked to educate and get more of the Germanic population of Baltimore active in civic and political affairs and was part of the Independent Citizens Union of Maryland in 1900.
He joined the Turnverein Vorwärts and was active in its affairs all of his life. He served in just about every capacity for the group. He served as director of the Children’s Playground Association. He served on several committees after the Baltimore fire and was president of the Venable Improvement Association. He was a member of the German Society of Maryland as a director and as its president from 1924 until his death. He was also a member of the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland and was Chairman of their Executive Committee for thirty years. He was a member of the Germania Club, the Masons, the Maryland Historical Society, Sons of Veterans of the Civil War, the American Academy of Political and Social Science, the Steuben Society and the American, Maryland State and Baltimore City Bar Associations.
Margaret Collins Schweinhaut (1904 to 1997)
Margaret ‘Peg’ Schweinhaut was a native of Washington D.C. As early as 1948, she was active in Montgomery County politics. She remained active in politics for over 50 years. She was involved in the effort for charter government for Montgomery County. She began her career with the state legislature in 1954 when she was elected to the House of Representatives. She served as a Delegate until appointed to the State Senate in 1961. Her career in the Senate lasted 25 years (1961-1963 and 1967 to 1991). She was committed to improving the quality of life for Maryland’s elderly. The State Commission on Aging began in 1959 due in large part to her pressure. She was named chair of the Commission. The commission studied the treatment of the elderly at state medical facilities including nursing homes. Eleven bills were passed to affect their findings. Montgomery County renamed the Forest Glen Senior Center the ‘Schweinhaut Senior Center’ to honor her for her work. She was also responsible for other legislation affecting other human rights issues, such as the drug paraphernalia sale ban, etc.
John Barnhart Seidenstricker (12-12-1809 to )
Mr. Seidenstricker was born in Baltimore. His father, Daniel emigrated to the U.S. in 1765 from the Palatinate of the Rhine. His father died when John was young and he was left to the care of his uncle, John Barnhart. He was educated at private schools in the Baltimore area and when he around 13 years old, he was taught his uncle’s business, the craft of painting and ornamental sign making. He remained with his uncle’s business until he was nineteen at which time his uncle retired and he took over the business.
He pursued the vocation of painter until shortly after his marriage. At that time, he purchased a stock of drugs and conducted a drug and paint store, which flourished until 1841.
In 1841 he was appointed collector of taxes for Baltimore city. This position lasted until 1844 and when completed, Mr. Seidenstricker entered the hardware business, which he continued until 1853. In 1853 he was elected president of the National Fire Insurance Company of Baltimore.
Mr. Seidensticker was a member of the First Branch of the City Council in 1835, 1836, 1837 and 1838. He was chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, the Committee of Internal Improvements, and several others. During this time he authored the resolution that resulted in the establishment of the first High School. In 1853 and 1854 and again in 1857 and 1858, he was elected to the Second Branch of the City Council and during those session was the president.
The paid Fire Department of Baltimore City was a result of a resolution prepared by Mr. Seidenstricker. He was elected a member of the General Assembly of Maryland in the fall of 1839 and 1840.
Mr. Seidenstricker has served as a judge of the Appeal Tax Court, assessor of property and inspector/visitor to the jail of Baltimore city and county.
He acted by appointment of Governor Swan as pension agent for Baltimore of the widows of the soldiers of the War of 1812, a job which he performed ‘pro bono’.
He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was for many years a Sunday School teacher.
Alfred Jenkins Shriver (6-5-1867 to
Alfred was born in Baltimore. He is of German origin, his German name being spelled Schreiber. He was educated in private schools and attended Loyola College. He completed the ‘Poetry’ class with highest honors. He was a recipient of the Whelan medal for general excellence in all studies. This medal is awarded to a senior with the highest academic average in all subjects. He entered Johns Hopkins University in 1889 and graduated with a B.A. in 1891. He was the winner of the ‘Hopkins’ and ‘University’ scholarships. He did post-graduate work at the University of Maryland and graduated with the Bachelor of Laws in June 1893. In 1894 he received his M.A. from Loyola College. He entered into practice in 1894.
He was the author of several legal publications and was a member of the Baltimore Bar Association, the State Bar Association and the John Hopkins Club (founder).
Thomas Herbert Shriver (2-19-1846 to 12-31-1916)
Mr. Shriver was the sixth American generation of his family. The family can trace their ancestry to the Alsenborn, Rhine Palatinate, the original name being Screiber. The family arrived in the U.S. in 1721. Mr. Thomas Shriver was born at Union Mills, Carroll County, Maryland. He was preparing for college when the Civil War broke out and when General Stuart’s cavalry passed through, he went with them, fighting at Gettysburg and a number of cavalry engagements in Northern Virginia. He was removed from the ranks and sent to the Virginia Military Academy. There he was one of the company of cadets who marched out of the academy and joined the Confederate forces fighting in Newmarket, Virginia. He remained with the Confederacy until their surrender on May 15, 1865. He worked as a traveling salesman and in the milling business established by his father. He also partnered with his brother Benjamin, principal owner of the B.F. Shriver Company, which operated a chain of factories for canning of fruits and vegetables. He was president of that company, the Union Bank, the Westminster Hardware Company and vice-president of the Westminster Deposit & Trust Company.
He was a member of the Maryland House of Delegates in 1878 and 1880, and elected State Senator in 1884. In 1888 he was Deputy Collector of the Port of Baltimore. He served on the military staff of Governor Lloyd with the rank of General and in similar rank on the staff of Governor Jackson. In 1894 he was appointed by Governor Crothers a member of the Atlantic Deep Water Commission.
He is interred in St. John’s cemetery in Carroll County.
Thomas Jacob Shryock (2-27-1851 to 2-3-1918)Two brothers immigrated before the Revolutionary War, Henry, the great-grandfather of Thomas, served in the Continental Army as lieutenant-colonel of the Second Battalion, Maryland Infantry. He was a member from Maryland at the convention that ratified the Constitution of the United States). Henry moved to Baltimore in approximately 1840.
Thomas was born in Baltimore to Henry and Ann, he received his education in public schools and the Light Street Institute. He began his career in the lumber trade and formed a partnership with his brother, William, under the name the W.H. Shryock & Company, located at the corner of Union dock and Eastern Ave. He became sole proprietor in 1880 and became a wholesale lumber dealer with partner George F.M. Houck, the company known as the Thomas J. Shryock & Company.
He was a member of the Republican Party and became a candidate for the office of State Treasurer, which he won and had the honor of being the first Republican ever elected to that office in Maryland. He was a member of the Board of Public Works of the city, vice president of the State Insane Asylum and the Maryland House of Corrections. He served four years as the first lieutenant in the Maryland National Guard and took part in the railroad riots of 1877. Governor Lloyd Lowndes appointed him chief of staff with the rank of brigadier-general.
The Masonic Temple in Hunt Valley has a bronze tablet bearing the portrait of General Shryock (marks the 25th Anniversary of his tenure of office as grand master). He served as Grand Master of the Masons from 1885 to 1918). The portrait was done by Hans Schuler (see The Arts). Mr. Schuler also designed and struck a medal in General Shryock’s honor. He is buried at Lorraine Cemetery.
Frederick J. Singley (6-11-1878 to 4-20-1950)
Mr. Singley was born in Baltimore, son of Henry and Louise Hellweg Singley. The census shows that his father was born in Württemberg and his mother in Maryland, but her parents were of Prussia descent. He attended the public schools in Baltimore and graduated from the Baltimore City College in 1897. He received the Frederick Raine Medal for proficiency in the Germany language. He studied law at the University of Maryland Law School and was admitted to the Bar in 1900. He was associated with the law firm of Hinkley and Morris as a student and became a member of the firm in 1907 to eventually becoming a partner and the firm’s name changed to Hinkley and Singley. The firm existed for more than 150 years.
He was a member of the Board of School Commissioners in Baltimore from 1920 to 1924. As counsel for Mr. Frederick Bauernschmidt (see profile), he took an active part in the building of the Bauernschmidt wing of the Union Memorial Hospital and the establishment of the Bauernschmidt Fund. He also served as a member of the board of several hospitals; was a director of the General German Aged Home; St. Mark’s Lutheran Church and a trustee of the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg.
Jacob Small (1772 to 1851)
Jacob Small was born in York, Pennsylvania, but moved to Baltimore at an early age. His father’s name was also Jacob Small and the Family name was Schmahl. His grandfather, Lorentz Schmahl immigrated from Essenheim, Germany in the mid-1700s. The last name was changed to Small.
Small was a veteran of the war of 1812, serving under General Samuel Smith.
Jacob Small was considered an accomplished mayor, serving Baltimore from 1826-1831). During his term the following accomplishments were recognized: During Mayor Small's incumbency Harford Run (Central Avenue) was walled in from Baltimore to Pratt street; the limits of direct taxation were extended and a system of garbage collection was inaugurated. The House of Industry, established in 1812, became the House of Refuge in 1831 and managers on the part of the City were appointed. This institution is now (1919) the Maryland School for Boys. The nucleus of Patterson Park was accepted in 1827. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was founded in 1828. "The Cove," extending east from Jones Falls, was partially filled in during 1829. Washington Monument, 180 feet high, was completed November 25th, 1829. This was the first monument erected to George Washington and Baltimore was thereafter known as the Monumental City.
The office of Commissioners of Public Schools and the position of Health Officer (now Quarantine Officer) were created. Commissioners of Registry for each ward were appointed; Peale's Museum Building, Holliday near Saratoga Street, was acquired and a used as a City Hall for years. Provision for the erection of a monument to Colonel Armistead* was made. Ordinance to erect wooden bridges over Jones Falls at Bath and Madison streets, and across Chatworth Run at Columbia Avenue were approved. A $500,000 loan to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and a $250,000 loan to the Baltimore and Susquehanna Railroad were authorized during this administration. The first public school was organized September 21st, 1829, and the first building for public school purposes was erected in 1830.
The population of Baltimore in 1830 was 80,620.
He left office to pursue other business interests.
He was a builder, architect and carpenter. Small designed the B & O Railroad's Ellicott City station that was completed in 1831. The structure, dedicated a National Historic Landmark in 1968, is his only extant piece of architecture.
Small is buried in Plot 32 at Old St. Paul’s Cemetery on Lombard Street.
Edwin A. Spilman (7-5-1877 to 11-27-1959)
Mr. Spilman was born in Baltimore, his family coming from Hessen-Darmstadt. Edwin’s father founded the Citizens Savings Bank. Edwin was educated at the Deichmann School in Baltimore, Bronxville Concordia School in New York and Concordia College in Milwaukee. He studied languages at Johns Hopkins University where he greaduated in 1899. He began working at his father’s bank, while attending law school at the University of Maryland. He obtained his law degree in 1903.
Upon his father’s death, he became the president of Citizens and in 1953 when the bank merged with Central Savings Bank, he remained as Chairman of the Board. He retired in 1957.
He was a member of the German Society, treasurer from 1922-1935; treasurer of the first Lutheran Hospital Drive and devoted much time to the Augsburg Home. He was member of the Maryland Historical Society and the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland.
Lawyer associate Justice People’s Court in 1913. Mr. Staum was born in Baltimore to John W. and Juliet (Armager). He was educated in private schools with special courses at Johns Hopkins University; graduated University of Maryland Law School in 1898. He was the Vice President and Director of the Howard County Sanitarium; Republican member of House of Delegates in 1902; Office was located at 23 Central Savings Bank Building.
Charles Francis Stein, Jr. (6-19-1900 to 1979)
Charles Stein had a rich and long ancestry. His great-grandfather Franz , son of the Grand Duke of Baden’s physician at Schwetzingen and Rastatt, was forced to leave Germany and fled to Alsace and later to the U.S. They arrived in Cincinnati, but Franz Leopold decided to come East and arrived in Baltimore on July 25, 1833. This was the beginning of the Stein family in Baltimore.
Charles was born in Baltimore. His father was a judge. He was educated at Calvert and Park Schools and attended the Johns Hopkins University and received his law degree from the University of Maryland Law School. He was a partner in the law firm of Hennighausen and Stein. During WWI, he served in the army and in WWII he served on a local draft board.
He was the treasurer and served on the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland’s Executive Committee for many years; from 1966 to 1970, he was president of the German Society of Maryland; President of the Huguenot Society of Maryland; headed the Southern Maryland Society and the Society of the War of 1812.
He was intensely interested in Maryland history and published a well-researched account of ‘The Star Spangled Banner: Our National Anthem’. He also penned two comprehensive books on the history of Howard County and the History of Calvert County. For the bicentennial of the American Revolution, he researched and penned for the first time the story of ‘The German Battalion of the American Revolution’.
Karl F. Steinmann (8-8-1899 to 7-13-1962)
Karl was the youngest of the three sons of Adolf Gustav Steinmann, an immigrant watchmaker from Bodman on Lake Constance, who settled in Baltimore in 1871. He spent his youth at his father’s jewelry shop on West Camden Street. Karl studied law and became an influential attorney in Baltimore. He represented the Blaustein interests in American Oil Company transactions. He also represented the Baltimore News-Post and Sunday American and the radio station, WBAL. He bought the Tower Building at Baltimore and Guilford and moved his law offices there in 1948.
He owned the radio station WCUM in Cumberland.
He was a member of the Advertising Club and served on the board of governors of the Baltimore Civic Opera Company. He was appointed to the State Aviation Commission by Governor O’Connor in 1944. He was a member of the Society for the History of Germans in Maryland. A grant made to the society from the Steinmann Foundation contributed to the printing of society’s 30th report in 1959.
Colonel Herman Stump (8-8-1835 to 1-9-1917)
The Stump family (Stumpf) was of Prussian origin later emigrated to England and later to Pennsylvania. Herman was the twelfth child of John and Sarah. He was born in Harford county, Maryland. He was educated by private tutors and later at Delaware College. He chose law as his profession and after his studies was admitted to the bar in 1856. He was actively engaged in this profession for his entire professional life. His sympathies during the Civil War were with the South and he was prominent in the State militia and held the rank of colonel. He purchased a large estate in Harford county, near Belair, and named it ‘Waverly’.
Colonel Stump was elected State Senator in 1878; presided over the Democratic State Convention of 1879, which nominated William T. Hamilton for Governor; was chose president of the Senate in 1880, and was elected to represent his district in the Fifty-first Congress as a Democrat. He was re-elected to the Fifty-second Congress, and at the expiration of his term was appointed by President Cleveland, Commissioner of General Immigration, a newly created department. He was instrumental in framing the Immigration and Chinese Exclusion Laws. At the end of his term, he resumed his practice of law until his retirement in 1902.
He was president of the board of visitors at Rosewood Training School and a member of the Masons.
John Benjamin Thomas (12-23-1819 to 7-25-1875)-Legislator
John B. Thomas was born in Frederick. His mother was of German descent. He was education in the schools of Frederick County and at the age of seventeen took charge of his father’s farm for five years. He married and rented his own farm and ran the farm until 1855. He opened a real estate agency in 1877.
He was elected chief judge of a magistrate’s court in 1846 and filled the office until it was discontinued in 1850. In 1851 he was elected county commissioner and in 1857 was elected to the Legislature. He represented Frederick County in the constitutional convention of the state in 1867.
Frank Charles Wachter (9-16-1861 to 7-1-1910)
Frank Charles Wachter, a Representative from Maryland; born in Baltimore, attended private schools and St. Paul’s Evangelical School at Baltimore, Md.; learned the trade of clothing cutter and in 1892 engaged in the cloth-shrinking business; member of the jail board of Baltimore 1896-1898; unsuccessful candidate for police commissioner of Baltimore in 1898; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-sixth and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1899-March 3, 1907); was not a candidate for re-nomination in 1906; resumed his former business pursuits in Baltimore; member of the board of managers of Maryland Penitentiary from 1909 until his death in Baltimore. He is interment in Loudon Park Cemetery.
George L. Wellington (1-28-1852 to 3-20-1927)
Mr. Wellington was born in Cumberland, MD. He was the son of John Adam Wellington, a native of Germany. He attended a German school with some private instruction. He went on to be a clerk in the Second National Bank of Cumberland in 1870 and later was a teller.
As chairman of the Republican State Central Committee, he managed the campaign which elected Lloyd Lowndes as Governor of the State,—the first Republican holder of this office.
In 1913, Wellington again sought election as senator, but as a member of the Progressive Party. He was not elected and, following the election, he engaged in civic activities. He became president of two banks and held an interest in the electric railways and electric companies in his hometown of Cumberland. As a business man he was highly successful. He organized the Citizens' National Bank of Cumberland and the German Savings Bank. Was President of the Edison Illuminating Company and President of the Cumberland Electric Railway, as also an officer in various other organizations.
In 1911 he again entered politics and was instrumental in aiding in the election of Phillips Lee Goldsborough, the second Republican Governor of Maryland.
William John Witzenbacher (12-1-1861 to 2-11-1916)
Judge Witzenbacher was born to William and Catherine. The father was born in Odenwald, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany in 1823. The father came to the U.S. about 1853 and settled in Hagerstown, which is where Judge Witzenbacher was born.
He was educated in the public schools taking college preparatory classes, which he completed and graduated from Washington County High School in 1880. He entered Johns Hopkins University and received a Bachelor’s degree in 1883. He began teaching at McDonough High School, but resigned in 1886 to pursue his law degree. He was admitted to the Washington county bar in 1886. In 1890, he was appointed City Attorney. In 1895, he was appointed District Attorney ad interim. In 1889, he was appointed attorney to the Board of County Commissions, which he served for two years. In 1902 he was appointed attorney to the newly created Board of Election Supervisors. In 1902, the death of Judge Edward Stake created a vacancy. Mr. Witzenbacher was appointed by Governor John Smith to represent Washington County in the Fourth Judicial District. One of his greatest cases was the ‘electric bill’ in 1910. He ruled that the contract into which the city officials had entered was void. The Court of Appeals sustained his view, which saved the city the home electric plant.
Judge Witzenbacher was a fluent linguist and read and spoke French, Spanish, Italian and German. He also read ancient Greek and Latin classics. He was offered a professorship at Johns Hopkins, but declined.
He was somewhat solitary and enjoyed nature. He was a member of the Masons, the First Hose Company and Zion Reformed Church.
Lawyer, born in Baltimore to Jacob and Mollie (Furstenberg). He was education in the Baltimore City Public Schools and graduated the University of Maryland Law School in 1901. He was a member of the 60th Congress from the 3rd District from March 4, 1907 to March 3, 1909. He was unsuccessful for his re-election efforts in 1908. Office was located at 204 Courtland Street. He is interred in Hebrew Friendship Cemetery.
 The Chinese Exclusion Act was a United States federal law signed into law by Chester A. Arthur on May 8, 1882, following revisions made in 1880 to the Burlingame Treaty of 1868. Those revisions allowed the U.S. to suspend immigration, and Congress subsequently acted quickly to implement the suspension of Chinese immigration, a ban that was intended to last 10 years.