1903 Baltimore Butcher Association Elects Officers
Appel (to 1893)
Mr. Appel was a native of
Germany. He came to this country with
his parents in 1854. They came to
Baltimore and were well respected and admired butchers. Their business grew rapidly. Adam worked with his father until 1872 when
he opened his own butcher business and was located at the Hollins Market. He stayed at the market for twenty years…actually
until his death in 1893.
Mr. Appel was a moral man and
honest. His business grew and his circle
of friends widened as well.
He married Alary Hoehn, also a
native of Germany. Ms. Appel took over
the business upon the death of Adam. There
were no children.
Binkert's Meat Products, LLC
In 1953, Egon Binkert and his wife Jrmgard immigrated to the United States from Erzingen, a small town in Germany bordering Switzerland. He worked for a local butcher in Baltimore until 1964, when he and Jrmgard started their own business manufacturing sausages, lunchmeats, salamis and hams in the Black Forest tradition.
Initially the products were delivered mostly to D.C and Northern Virginia to the many flourishing German restaurants and delis in the area. In 1980, Egon bought a commercial lot on Philadelphia Road in Rosedale and built a larger facility there. This enabled the addition of a retail store to the USDA inspected manufacturing plant. The Binkerts were well-liked and active members of the various German Clubs in the Baltimore-Washington area, and never missed a German Day, Oktoberfest or cultural event in their many years together running “the butcher shop”.
Egon and Jrmgard retired in 2000, both at the age of 81. Their only daughter Sonya and her German-born husband Lothar Weber took over the business that year and have been fortunate to be able to watch the business’s popularity grow. Besides old and new restaurants, hotels and specialty stores, they also supply local organizations and schools for their fairs, parties and Oktoberfests. The store has expanded to include imported grocery items from Germany. Binkert’s patrons are varied; many locals and neighbors frequent the shop, as well as customers from bordering states who arrive with coolers to take the goodies back home. In addition, Binkert’s is also online, shipping sausages and other German delicacies all across the country.
The shop is located at 8805 Philadelphia Rd. Their phone is 410-687-5959.
[Information was supplied by Sonya Binkert Weber]
Click here for Binkert's
John Blöcher (1-18-1863 to 7-26-1929)
Henry Blöcher (1-11-1875 to 7-12-1951)
John Blöcher was born in Wallau, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. He learned the trade in Baltimore from another well-known butcher, Ruppersberger. He opened his own shop on December 2, 1886 at 2801 Layfayette Avenue. This plant became a model ‘slaughterhouse’. He also operated a stall at the Cross Street Market.
He married Pauline Repp on June 28, 1887. Together they had four children, three daughters and one son.
He was well respected in business as well as in the German community. He was a member of the Sincerity Lodge 181, Merchant’s Council 576; Unkel Bräsig Verein; President of the Mechanics Exchange Fishing Club and a member of the Metzger Verein #1 of Baltimore.
Henry Blöcher was born in Wallau, Hesse-Darmstadt and was the brother of John. He came to the U.S. in 1891 and learned the butcher trade from his brother. In 1901, Henry opened his own shop at Riggs Avenue and Monroe Street.
Henry married Elizabeth Kepp on june 12, 1900. Together they had two sons, only one surviving to adulthood, John, Hr.
He was also a member of Sincerity Lodge 181 and the Metzger Verein #1 of Baltimore. He was a member of the Grocers Association a
John & Henry are buried at Western Cemetery
Bloecher & Shaaf
Their shop was located at 250 Hollins Street. Both principals served as Master Masons of Sincerity Lodge, Henry in 1910 and Wilhelm in 1915.
Bodenbender (3-9-1855 to 8-2-1919)
C. Bodenbender was born March
9, 1855 in Kurhessen and learned in his
native country the Meat Business.
In 1872, he came to
Baltimore and worked his trade for 22 years ago. His butcher
shop was located on Harford
Road and Mr. Bodenbender also had a stall in the Belair market. He was
president of the Butchers Singing
Group (Metzger Gesangerein), a member of the Butchers Association, No. 1 of Unkel Brassig
Verein and Kurhessen
He was married to Mary
Louise Marquardt (1860-1938). Together they had two
children Wilhelm George (1887-1907) and Mary Katherine. They are buried at Loudon Park Cemetery
William Schluderberg (9-29-1839 to 4-5-1921)
Thomas J. Kurdle (1856 to )
The company was founded in 1858 by German immigrant William Schluderberg. William and his brothers Conrad and George all purchased land in Highlandtown to open butcher shops. William's company name was the Schluderberg Meatpacking Co. Esskay was a result of a merger in 1919 between his meatpacking company and that of Thomas J. Kurdle. It was incorporated as Schluderberg-Kurdle Co., but soon became known as Esskay…which was a result of the combination of the first part of the principals last names (S and K).
William Schluderberg was born in 1839 in Hessen, Germany. He immigrated with his mother and step-father in 1851. Also immigrating were his brothers Conrad (worked with his brother in the meat business), Henry (butcher died in 1893) and George. He married Sophia (Falk) and together they had nine children, three of which survived to adulthood. He was a large property owner in the Highlandtown area at one time having over 40 rental properties in the area. He was a Republican, a member of the Butcher’s Association and a member of the Canton German Lutheran Church. He was a director of the American Bank. William Schluderberg served on the Board of Directors for the German Union Fire Insurance Company. The 1930 Federal census has the family living at 1029 Third Street in Highlandtown (ED12; District 52). His obituary states that the services were conducted by Rev. John Fleck of St. John's Lutheran Church, assisted by Rev. Paul A. Schinatz, Pastor of the Fifth Reformed German Church. He and his wife Sophia are buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery.
The 1930 census has Thomas Kurdle living at 2818 Ailsa. He was 74 years old and living with his wife, Margaretha who was 68 years old. The census states he was born in Bohemia, as were his parents. Margaretha was born in Maryland, but both parents were born in Bavaria. The 1920 census has them on what appears Aliceanne Street and has his time of arrival as 1854. In 1910 they were at 3809 Eastern Avenue. It also states his year of immigration as 1878.
Their slogan, which became quite famous was “Taste the difference quality makes”. They also served as the primary sponsor for ‘Sam and Friends’, which was a base and start for Jim Hensen and his puppets. They were also one of the few companies involved in Sports Marketing and for many years were a sponsor of the Baltimore Orioles, the Naval Academy and the Ironbirds.
They built their main plant in 1919 and throughout the years made many additions. They were one of the first meatpacking companies to provide training to their employees as well as a library, insurance, a credit union, etc. The plant kept many people in the area employed.
The company was acquired by Smithfied Foods in 1985 and operate as an independent operating division of Gwaltney and Smithfield Packing. They ceased production at their East Baltimore Company in 1992.
Esskay website: http://www.esskaymeat.com/history.html
According to the 1922 Packers Enclyclopedia: Wm. Schluderberg-T. J. Kurdle Co.—Baltimore and 6th Sts. President, W. F. Schluderberg; Vice-President, Joseph Kurdle; Secretary, Theo. Schluderberg; Treasurer, Albert Kurdle; General Manager, W. F. Schluderberg; General Superintendent, A. M. Eastman. Employes, 400. "Esskay." Products- Sausage—Fresh and smoked. Pork products, "Esskay"; lard, "Esskay," "Oriole"; compounds, "Southern Rose," "Pearl." Branches—1727 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, Md., and Roanoke, Va. Also exports.
John A. Gebelein
John A. Gebelein (10-14-1868 to 10-20-1943)
John Gebelein lived on Castle Street in 1920. He was 51 at the time and owned and operated a pork packing business. He was born in Maryland to German parents. He and his family lived on Sulgrave Avenue in 1930. The name of his company according to the German Citizens of Baltimore (1929) was the J.A. Gebelein Company and was located at 725 N. Castle Street. His son Andrew took over the business and is listed at 731 Castle Street in the 1930 federal census.
According to the 1922 Packers Encyclopedia- 725-743 N. Castle St. Individual ownership. Sausage—Fresh and smoked. Trade Mark—"Castle Brand." Retail
Market—One at Bel Air Market.
He married Anna E. (1869-1949) and together they had two children, Paul (1894-1925) and Catherine (Helmbright 1895-1975). They are buried at Loudon Park Cemetery.
Albert Goetze, Sr. (8-31-1891 to 5-18-1973)
Albert Goetze, Jr. (1923 to 9-2007)
Robert Goetze (1925 to 2008)
Goetze Meats was founded by Albert F. Goetze and was called the Albert F. Goetze Meat Packing Company. The plant, which at one time employed about 1000 persons, was closed in the mid-1970s. According to the 1890 Baltimore Directory, Albert’s father, Albert G. Goetze was also a butcher and owned his own shop, which was located at Chew (now Ashland Avenue) near Chester. The 1910 census lists the family residence at 1729 Chester Street. Albert F. Goetze established the meat packing plant, which was located 8422 Bellona Lane in Baltimore.
Albert Frederick Goetze was the son of Albert G. Goetze (1863 to 1929) born in Anholt, Germany and Dora Goetze (1862 to 1958), born in Bremen, Germany (both according to the 1920 Federal Census). Albert F. Goetze was born August 31, 1891 in Baltimore, Maryland and married Nellie Pauline ( to 1986). The family lived at 1515 Lakeside Avenue. As a child, Alfred F. lived with his parents on Chester Street and later on Rutland Avenue. The company’s slogan was ‘Don’t Guess, Get Goetze’s’.
Albert’s sons were also involved in the business. His son Alfred Jr.(1923 to 2007) became the firm’s president. In 1968, he became the President of the Eastern Meat Packers Association. He was born in Baltimore and educated at McDonogh School and later Cornell University with a degree in mechanical engineering. His full profile is in the ‘Military’ section of this site. His son Robert Goetze (1925 to 2008) was a graduate of McDonogh School and attended the University of Pennsylvania, when his studies were interrupted by WWII, where Robert served as an ensign in the Navy in the South Pacific from 1944 to 1946. He earned a degree at the Wharton School of business and became general manager and vice president of sales at the plant. He later became president of Sinclair Auto & Truck Fleet Leasing Co., which initially used commercial vehicles from the meat-packing business. He sat on the boards of the American Meat Institute, Susquehanna University and was a founding member of the Maryland Presbyterian Church on Providence Road. He served on committees for the Salvation Army and the Baltimore Junior Chamber of Commerce).
The company ceased operations in 1975.
The family is buried at Lorraine Park Cemetery.
Albert & Dora Goetze are buried at Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery.
Mr. David Brinegar sent me several photos of his father. His father Robert Brinegar, Jr., worked for the Goetze Meat Packing plant in Baltimore in the 50s. There are others in the photos and he has asked if anyone knows the people in the photos to make contact. Please send me an email at email@example.com if you are on know someone in the photos. Thanks David for sharing.
Andrew Heinold Meat Packing
Located at 808 N. Chester near Madison Avenue. They also operated a stall at Northeast Market (located at Monument and Chester).
The family, according to the 1910 census, lived at 832 Chester Street. His occupation was listed as butcher of pork. He lived with his wife Elizabeth () and his son Edwin (1903 to) and George (1905 to). Both of Andrew’s parents were born in Germany.
In reviewing census records (1920), I also came upon a Kate Heinold (1854 to) living at 808 Chester Street. She is listed as the Head of Household living with her daughters Mary and Kate. Mary’s husband Edward Hall also lived at the house and his occupation is listed as an Engineer at a slaughterhouse; daughter Kate worked at the slaughterhouse as a clerk.
C. Hohman & Sons
Conrad P. Hohman (1865 to)
Frank Hohman (1890 to)
Located at 2138 E. Monument Street. It was a partnership and they employed, according to the 1922 Meat Packers Encyclopedia, 65 employees. 2138 E. Monument St. General Manager, Geo. A. Hohman. Hogs, 1,200. Sausage Fresh and smoked. Trade Marks—"Blue Band Brand" and "Triangle Brand." Retail Markets—North East Market and Belair Market, Baltimore.
According to the 1930 census, the family, Conrad and his wife Cora were living at 1345 Homestead Street in Baltimore. He is listed as a Butcher in a wholesale meat packing business. His father was born in Germany. In 1920 they lived on Washington Street and their son Frank (1890 to ), who also worked in the meat business lived with them.
Henry Kaufman (1852 to )
The Kaufman family were meat packers and butchers. Henry Kaufman (1852-) lived and worked at 323 Leeds Ave., also on Leeds Ave., was Elmer Kaufman and his family and Harry Kaufman and his family (All from the 1920 Federal Census). Again, all were meat packers. The Kaufmans (Henry, Harry and Elmer were all listed as born in Maryland to German parents. The Kaufman Packing Company, Harry J. Kaufman, proprietor, was located at the Union Stock Yards (source: German Citizens of Baltimore 1929).
According to the 1922 Packers Encyclopedia, President, Harry T. Kaufman; Vice-Presidents, Walter C. Kaufman, J. Louis Kaufman and Elmer R. Kaufman; Secretary,
Halver B. Kaufman; Treasurer, J. Louis Kaufman; General Manager, Walter C. Kaufman; General Superintendent. J. Louis Kaufman. Employees, 25. Products — Sausage, Fresh and smoked. "Blue Seal." Retail Markets—607-609 Lexington Market and 18-20 Hollins Market, Baltimore, Md.
Located at 5221 W. Henrietta Street.
Messersmith (1828 to 1893)
Charles Messersmith was a native
of Germany, coming to the US when he was about four years old. His parents settled
in Baltimore. Charles, at an early age,
went into the butcher business, where he was successful his entire life. By good business ethics, he amassed a small
fortune by the standards in those days and he also helped contribute to the
growth of the city. He confined his business
to veal and grew to the point where he operated stalls in most of Baltimore’s
He married Miss Louisa E.
Saumnig, a native of Baltimore, but of German parentage, in 1849, and together
they had ten children, four of these are boys also entered their father in his
business. They were Charles E., Samuel J., John K. and Oliver. Four of the daughters were Mary, Louisa, Ella
and Lillie. Charles Messersmith died in
Located at 2806 Pennsylvania Avenue. The corporation, according to the 1922 Meat Packers Encyclopedia, they employed 30 persons.
Henry Ferdinand Riefle (5-15-1812 to 5-6-1862)-Butcher
Butcher and leading citizen of Baltimore, Maryland.
F. Riefle sold meat at the No. 1 stall in Lexington Market, Baltimore.
Henry was a member of the "Butchers' Association of Baltimore" and was a
signer of the resolution "that from May 2nd they would not charge more
than twelve and a half cents per pound for beef, and if they were unable
to furnish it at that price, they would vacate their stalls." This
resolution grew out of the oppressions under which they and the general
public suffered from the extortions of forestallers and the monopolist
cattle-dealers. In 1832, when they realized their tradesmen were victims
of a monopoly, organized the "Butchers' Hide and Tallow Association" --
the object being to salt their own hides and render their own tallow,
thus protecting themselves against impositions by controlling their own
business. One of the eight directors of the Association was Henry.
1839, he petitioned the Mayor of Baltimore regarding the selling of
stalls in Lexington Market and in 1853, records show he protested a
matter regarding the Elysville Railroad. In 1856, he petitioned against
outlaw huckster competition with tax-paying stall owners in city
markets. He was also a member of the Butchers' Loan and Annuity
Association, Zion Lutheran Church, and was active in real estate transactions.
Riefle family had its origins in Pforzheim, in the Black Forest area of
Baden, German Republic. Henry immigrated from there to Baltimore in
1832. He was the first son, second child of Michael and Carolina Wagner
Rufle. Henry's parents were married on May 22, 1808, and between 1812
and 1819, the family name was changed from "Rufle" to "Riefle." The
trade of meat cutting extended to both lines of the family, including
his father and his grandfather, Johann Rufle, and his mother's father,
Founded in 1868 by Gustav Ruppersberger, who immigrated from Germany. This firm name is found in the 1922 Meat Packers Encyclopedia.
His was the last slaughterhouse in Baltimore and was ran continuously for over five generations. The name was changed to George G. Ruppersberger & Sons, Inc.
One of the last president’s John, Jr., was a 1941 graduate of Catonsville High School. Began studies at the University of Maryland, but was drafted into the Army in 1942. He served as an Infantry Sergeant in Germany and Japan. After the war he returned to the University of Maryland and received his BA. He was an All-American Lacrosse player and enjoyed sailing. He as a member of the Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church. He is interred in Druid Ridge Cemetery.
L. Sellmayer & Sons
Ludwig Sellmayer (8-1858 to)
Located at Third and Fleet Streets in Highlandtown. They were pork and beef packers and sausage manufacturers.
The 1900 Federal census has the family living at 501 Eastern Avenue. With Ludwig was his wife Dorothea (10-1872). Ludwig was born in Germany. Dorothea was born in Maryland to German parents. Ludwig immigrated in 1868. He is listed as a butcher. Living with him were his sons John (9-1884); Ludwig (1-1889); George (10-1897) and Edward (1-1900). On the 1920 census, John was working as a Clerk in the Slaughterhouse. He was married to Katherine (1886) and living at 706 Third Street.
Johann Ernest (5-3-1809 to 8-15-1893)
Charles W. (1-7-1860 to 10-28-1916)
family has been in the butcher and meat packing business in Oella, near
Catonsville, for generations, although Ernest Treuth, [Johann Ernest Treuth, originally Treut] the "patriarch" was
a cooper at the Avalon Nail & Iron Works in Avalon, Baltimore County along
the Patapsco River. A massive flood in 1868 destroyed the village and factory,
however, their house was spared. Johann Ernest was born in Eckartshausen, Hesse-Darmstadt
and married Margaret [Margaretha] Hopp [6-18-1816 to 4-2-1882], born in
Langendiebach, Hesse Kassell. They emigrated
to the United States with their daughter and the parents of Margaret [George
Phillip and Anna Elizabeth Hopp]. Johann
Ernest’s son Charles was the first butcher in the family. Johann Ernest and Margaret also had 5
daughters. Charles was born in 1860, married
Marie and his son’s Charles and William also became butchers.
still exists in Baltimore and they have been serving the beef industry for over
Margaret are buried at Melville Methodist Church cemetery in Elkridge, Howard
and Marie Treuth are buried at Loudon Park Cemetery.
provided by Dave Pardoe and the website of J.W. Treuth http://www.jwtreuth.com/.
William Weaver (1830 to )
Mr. Weaver was a native of Germany.
He came to the United States with his parents when seven years old. He received
six months' schooling in America. He began life as a butcher at the age of sixteen.
When his employer failed, young Weaver took the business, and made a success of
it. He conducted this business from 1848 until 1886, at which time his son
Adolphus became proprietor.
In 1877, with Edward C. Harman, he
began the business of manufacturing of bricks, with a yard on the Washington
Road near Gywnn's Falls. With excellent management, this business too became
very successful. Mr. Harman left the
business just prior to Mr. Weaver’s death.
Mr. Weaver joined the Republican
party when it was in its infancy and continued a prosperous worker in the party
until his death. He was a candidate for several political offices, but never
served in any. His loses due to inactivity during the campaigns than lack of
He was a family man with a
beautiful home on Harford Rd. He married
Sophia P. Brown a native of Germany.
They had four sons, Adolphus H., Edward E.,William C, and Harry A. They had three daughters, Louisa, Emma and Sophia. Their
sons inherited a great deal of their father’s business integrity. Harry was
born in 1873 and graduated from the University of Maryland Law School in
1895. He left law to join in his
father’s business with Edward. They sons
were members of Christ Lutheran Church.
He was a director in the National
Fire Insurance Company for many years, and in the past served as president of
the Butchers' Building and Loan Association, and was president of the Harford
Road Improvement Association. He was a member of the Masonic Order and of St.
Stephen's Evangelical Church, of which congregation he was president for more
than thirty years.
One reference listed William's name as Henry, however checking the 1870 and 1880 US Federal Census, the name is shown as William and the seven children cited on the two (Sophia, Henry A and Emma on the 1880). The 1880 census shows the family residence as 616 Light Street. Other records show that the sons followed the father's footsteps and went into the butcher/grocer business.
Wetzelberger Brothers Meat Packing
The company was founded in the early 19th century. Located at 239 S. Conkling Street. They also operated a stall at Northwest Market. They had a stall in the Southeast Market located on Broadway.
One of the latter family members working for the company was William Wetzelberger (to 1962). He was actually a driver for the business.