I have to be honest…if you have never been to a German bakery or tasted fine German chocolates, you haven’t lived. Many of the bakeries and chocolatiers listed here continue operations in fine fashion. If your mouth is watering for some good Strudel, Pfeffernuss, Stollen, Sachertorte, Black Forest Cake, Bienenstich, or just want some really good, fresh brotchen…visit your German bakery.
Albert Kirchmayr Chocolates
Mr. Kirchmayr (1956) emigrated from Munich, Germany in his early twenties. He was born in 1956 and came to Baltimore in 1978. He trained in Germany as a chef in a trade school in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. He began sending resumes and seeking employment in the U.S. in 1977. One of his first jobs was at the Café des Artistes in Mt. Washington.
In 1986, he went back to Europe because he had become fascinated with candymaking. He studied the art for one year with candy master Karl Daeuvel (Munich) and completed his studies with a two week specialized course in Lucerne, Switzerland.
His candies are ‘high end’ and he furnishes several hotels, caterers and country clubs in the area. His chocolates are fresh and the chocolate is imported from Lubeck’s in Munich.
He is a perfectionist, which may be part of his German heritage and his chocolates prove just that. He opened his chocolate shop in 1985 and the businesses is located at 9630 Deereco Road, Timonium, MD 21093, (410) 561-7705, firstname.lastname@example.org, website: http://www.fineeuropeanchocolate.com/home.htm
In 1835 two brothers named George and Henry Berger traveled to the United States from Germany. George, was a metal worker and lived in West Baltimore, Henry, was a baker and lived in East Baltimore. Henry had three sons, George, Henry and Otto. Each brother opened their own little bakery, with the exception of Henry who took over his father's bakery.
In the late 1800s "open air" markets dominated the way people shopped. They could purchase all their food needs in one general area. Each vendor had their own little shop, or as they were known, stall. It is believed that each brother maintained a stall in one of about five markets throughout the city.
Around the turn of the century Otto died and George and Henry combined the three bakeries, thus forming "Bergers". As the automobile became more of a way of travel, the brothers expanded the business to the other markets. Sadly, Henry passed away and that left George as the sole proprietor of the bakery.
George had a young man by the name of Charles E. Russell in his employ. When George was ready to retire he sold the bakery to Mr. Russell. The bakery flourished under the care of Mr. Russell.
When Mr. Russell retired his son, Charles E. Russell, Jr. took control of the bakery operation. The bakery continued to prosper through the depression and two world wars. Mr. Russell, Jr. along with his two sons, Charles 3rd and Dennis, worked together in the business. He also had two brothers working for him by the name of Charles and Benjamin DeBaufre. Mr. Russell retired in 1967, turning over control of the bakery to his sons, the DeBaufre brothers branched out on their own, creating DeBaufre Bakeries, Inc.
The first two years were a struggle to make a fledgling company profitable. However in 1969 the bakery had become profitable enough to purchase Berger's from the Russell family. In 1978 Charles' son, Charles, Jr., purchased a portion of the bakery. In 1988, Charles, Sr., passed away, leaving Benjamin and his son Charles, Jr. along with John Koehler, in control of the company. In 1994 Benjamin retired. Charles, Jr. was now the sole proprietor of Berger Cookies.
The bakery has continued to prosper and grow from its relatively modest roots to one of the most recognized cookie in the Maryland region.
Source: Berger Cookie Website: http://www.bergercookies.com/history.htm
Dietrich Paul (to 11-16-2007)
Mr. Paul left East Germany in 1959 as a baker on tour with the German merchant marine. He ended up in New York, then Pennsylvania and finally settling in Maryland where he opened the bakery and café in 2001 on Harford Road. He and his wife, Genevieve Brogan made most of the delicacies themselves.
One of the things that patrons remember most are the ‘German Thursdays’, where Alfred Zeller would come and play his accordion and the German community would get together to remember old times and the old country.
Source: Baltimore Sun, November 26, 2006; Baltimore Sun, November 28, 2007
John H. Glauber (8-8-1851 to 12-10-1931)
John H. Glauber opened a small candy factory in 1876 at 1037 South Hanover Street. In 1912 his two sons, Milton (7-1888 to 1926) and Howard (10-1895 to), became partners and the firm name was changed to John H. Glauber & Sons. He opened stalls in the Cross Street and Hollins markets and began supplying candy to department stores and bakeries. The Hanover Street headquarters was outgrown and in 1935, they purchased a property at 1020 Regester Avenue. They lived and worked there. Mr. Glauber died in 1939 and the business continued under the management of Howard Albert and his wife Miriam and his oldest son Howard. His youngest son, Kenneth also became a partner when he completed college. In 1950 a candy stall was opened in the then recently rebuilt Lexington Market and in 1963 a card and candy shop at Yorkridge Shopping Center was added and in 1965 a retail outlet at the Perring Plaza. In 1971, Eastpoint was added and in 1983, Towsontowne Mall. Today, the original recipes are still used and several traditional procedures.
Glauber’s was sold on April 25, 2002 to Ruxton Chocolates (maker of Naron and Mary Sue). Glauber’s chocolates may still be purchased at their retail operation at 18 W. Ridgely Road in Timonium, Maryland. Mr. John Glauber and. Milton Glauber are interred at Loudon Park Cemetery.
August L. Goetze (5-23-1832 to 9-4-1906)
William Goetze (1863 to)
R. Melvin Goetze (2-8-1889 to 2-1972)
In 1895 August L. Goetze and his son William Goetze began manufacturing confections in Baltimore. It was known at the time as the Baltimore Chewing Gum Company. It was located in the same area as the Johns Hopkins Hospital. In 1909 R. Melvin Goetze, son of William joined the firm. It was R. Melvin Goetze that made the Caramel candies, first at home and later for Goetz Candy in 1917. They were introduced to the market in 1918. In 1928 the company moved to larger facilities to meet the demand for the new candies. It still exists at that location today. R. Melvin Goetze’s son, R. Melvin Goetze, Jr., joined the firm in 1935 and led the way to automation. In 1941, the Baltimore Chewing Gum Company picked their leading product and began exclusive production of that product. In 1958, the company was incorporated under the name of the Goetze’s Candy Company. In 1969, the fourth generation joined the firm.
Throughout the years various flavors of ‘Creams’ products have been manufactured by Goetze.
In 1984 R. Melvin Goetze, Jr., was inducted into the Candy Hall of Fame. This same year, the company began production of ‘cow tales’.
In 1992, the fifth generation entered the business. In 1993, ‘Cow Tales’ were nominated as product of the year. In 1995, they celebrated their 100th Anniversary. In 1998, Spaulding Goetze was inducted into the Candy Hall of Fame.
August Goetze purchased the Baltimore Chewing Gum Company in 1895 – but don’t let the name mislead you – candy was his business. Goetze’s passion ultimately led him to focus on perfecting a single, signature product. With soft, chewy caramel wrapped around a sweet fondant center, Caramel Creams® were born. Their unique taste has been delighting candy fans ever since – and setting the standard for consistent quality in the American candy business.
The name was changed to Goetze's Candy Company in 1951.
Goetz’s Candy Company has enjoyed a century of popularity. From horse and cart deliveries in downtown Baltimore, Goetze’s cooks and processes candy daily, for shipments all over the globe.
The Goetze's Candy Company proudly manufactures ALL their candies in the GOOD OLD USA! The factory has been located in Baltimore, Maryland since 1895 and is currently in the 5th generation of operation and ownership.
Some personal details: August (also shown on one census as Augustus) was born in Prussia. He married Ellen (12-2-1831 to 5-6-1896), also born in Prussia. Together, there children were Henry, William, Mary, Emma, George and August. August and Ellen are buried at Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery.
William is found on the 1910 census listed as a widower and living at 813 Broadway with his children Randle (21), Sadie (19), and Catherine (13). His father in law, William Weaver and sister in law Catherine also lived with him. The 1930 census and is listed as a widower. I believe the Catherine listed was his daughter (age 36), however, the census states it was his wife. Also living with him was his brother August and his mother-in-law, Mary Clements. Both census lists his occupation as Chewing Gum Manufacturer.
Randle or R. Melvin is found on the 1930 census living at 1711 Lakeside Avenue, with his wife Bernadine (39) and children Audrey (17) and Randle, Jr., (13). His occupation also listed as Chewing Gum Manufacture. His date of death is 2-1972 and occurred in Broward, Florida.
From the Goetze website: The Goetze Family takes pride in the fact that we purchase materials from the U.S. whenever possible, regardless of price. Materials from the U.S. are governed by the FDA and the USDA following strict guidelines to keep our food supply safe. We feel as a United States family manufacturer it is our responsibility to SUPPORT other U.S. companies and more importantly, other Family Businesses that call our great country their home.
The company continues to operate today at 3900 East Monument Street in Baltimore. (Telephone: 410-342-2010)
Goldman’s Kosher Bakery
Fred B. ‘Fritz’ Cohn (1921 to 2006)-Mr. Cohn was born in Leipzig, Germany. He wanted to be a physician like his father, but the Nazi’s, at that time, had come to power and Jews could not enter medical school. He became an apprentice baker. The family fled Germany in 1939 and settled in Bolivia. Mr. Cohn, then 18, opened a small bakery. He married Inge J. Falkenstein and together they moved to Baltimore in 1954 with $50 in savings.
In 1960 he opened Freddy’s Bakery and in 1965 he bought Goldman’s Kosher Bakery at Rogers and Park Heights Avenues. He later moved (1973) the bakery to the Fallstaff Shopping Center on Reisterstown Road.
Source: Baltimore Sun, July 19, 2006
Anton Hagel (4-17-1888 to 1-20-1967)
Mr. Hagel was born in Marbach, Hesse, son of Max and Louisa Hagel. He immigrated and emigrated to Baltimore on June 12, 1912, where he began working at a bakery. In 1914, he opened his own bakery, which was located at Pratt and Ann Streets. He operated the bakery until his retirement in 1957.
He was past president of the Retail Bakers Association of Baltimore and treasurer of the Potomac States Association of the Baking Industry.
He was an active member of the Knights of Columbus, the Baltimore Kiwanis Club, a board member of Spring Grove Hospital.
During WWII, Mr. Hagel was president of the Deutsches Haus, Inc. and is credited with saving the facility, which experienced severe financial strain and other difficulties during this time. When he died in 1967, he was honorary President. He was a member of the German Society of Maryland serving as vice president, and belonged to the boards of the German Home for the Aged and the German Correspondent, Inc.
Anton, according to the 1930 census was married to Mary (born 12-22-1888 in Baltimore, Maryland to German parents) and lived on Crossland Avenue in Baltimore. They had one daughter, Mary, at that time.
He is buried at Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery.
The bakery was founded in the early 1900s by Sophia Hauswald. It was located on Edmondson Avenue. Sophia’s son Philip John Hauswald, Sr. (12-16-1892 to 2-1980) worked with her in the bakery. The 1930 federal census has the family Philip, Sr., living at 1015 Poplar Street. It notes that the father was German born and his mother was born in Maryland. The children living there at that time were Ruth, Normi, Doris and Philip, Jr. Philip’s occupation is baker. Next door at 1019 Poplar Grove was Philip’s mother Sophia. This indicated that both of her parents were German born. Daughter Anna was living with Sophia and working as the manager in the bakery. The 1910 census has the family living at 8 Pulaski Street, where Sophia is widowed and living with children Anna, Adelaide, Elsie, Philip, Carl and Myrtle. Both Anna and Elsie worked at the bakery at this time.
Philip John Hauswald (2-15-1925 to 11-30-1998) worked in the family business founded by his grandmother, Sophia, in the early 1900s. He was a Baltimore native, graduated in 1943. He served in the Navy from 1943 to 1946 during WWII. He was a graduate of Loyola College. Mr. Hauswald was the past president of the Potomac State Baker’s Association. He was a member of Emmanuel Lutheran Church.
The Bakery was sold to the Schmidt Bakery in 1989. The Hauswald family is interred at Druid Ridge Cemetery.
Source: Baltimore Sun, December 2, 1998; 1900 Federal Census.
Heinz Cake & Gift Haus
Heinz Hubert Luesse (10-7-1934 to ) came to the U.S. in 1960 with his wife, Elvira, in 1960. He began his career as an apprentice baker in Hamburg, Germany in 1950. He became a master pastry chef in 1959. Mr. Luesse worked his way around the world working for the Hamburg American Steamship Company.
He opened the bakery at the corner of West Main and John Streets in Westminster Maryland in 1972. He and his wife worked at the bakery for 36 years when it was sold in 1996. His son, Heinz Eric Luesse, had no desire to continue the bakery at that time.
Heinz Eric Luesse (9-6-1967 to) earned a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Frostburg State University and opened his own business. The business was successful, but sold, when Heinz Luesse decided to go back into the bakery business. The timing was right because the new owners of his father’s bakery sold it back to him.
The bakery is located at 42 W. Main Street in Westminster, Maryland. Telephone: 410-848-0808.
Source: Baltimore Sun, January 15, 1996; Baltimore Sun, October 27, 1997
Herman’s BakeryHarry J. Herman (1918 to 11-2003)- Harry Herman was born and raised in Baltimore. He lived above his father’s store, Harry’s Bakery, which was located on Fleet Street and Montford Avenue. He began his baking at the age of 12. Mr. Herman attended St. Elizabeth’s Catholic School. He joined his father in 1938 and worked with him until 1958 when he opened his own shop, Herman’s Bakery on Holabird Avenue.
He opened many shops in the many malls in the area. His son Harry J. Herman, Jr., followed him in the baking business, now called Herman’s Enterprises.
Mr. Herman was former President of the Baltimore Bakers Production Club and also the Potomac States Bakers Association.
William Hoehn (1896 to)
William began his family bakery in 1927. William Hoehn installed the massive brick hearth oven and operated the business until the 1950s. At that time his son, Frederick Hoehn, took over and his son joined him in the early 70s. Louis Sahlender, a cousin, joined the firm in 80s.
1930 Census has the family living on Conkling Street and lists William as a retail merchant, a baker. There are several children (Catherine, Evelyn, William, Jr., Crecentia, Frederick and Madeline) living at the home as well. The father William was born in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, as were his parents, and the mother, Crecentia was born in Maryland, however, it states that both her parents were Bavarian. In 1940, they were in the same house in the 3500 block of Bank Street.
It continues to be a family dedicated to providing their customers with high quality baked goods made the old fashioned way, baking from scratch using no preservatives and as little machinery as possible. They continue to bake in the original brick hearth oven, which gives the same marvelous results as it did 84 years ago. Many of the recipes used are those brought over from Germany by William Hoehn.
Koester’s BreadKoester’s Bakery was founded by Eilert Koester (9-1858 to 11-7-1948) and his wife Lisette (12-1860 to 8-7-1947). The business, according to the 1905 Polk directory was located at 644 W. Lexington Street, which was also noted as their home on the 1900 Federal Census, and at 894 W. Baltimore Street. They had two children at the time, William (3-1888 to12-2007 ) and Hilda (12-1893 to ). The bakery was founded in 1887 and was at one time the largest family owned bakery in the U.S. Both Eilert and Lisette were born in Germany.
The bakery was later in the hands of William, their son. He was raised on St. George’s Road and was a 1938 graduate of Gilman School. He earned a degree at Dartmouth College and served in the Navy aboard the aircraft carrier USS Wasp in the Pacific during World War II. He left the Navy as a lieutenant. After the war he worked as an actor in New York and toured with companies of South Pacific and Arsenic and Old Lace. In 1950, he returned to Baltimore and became the sales director for his family bakery on W. Lexington Street. He retired when the business was sold in 1977. William was a volunteer counselor to substance abusers. He was a Mason and a member of the Baltimore Country Club and the Gibson Island Yacht Club.
The family is interred at Druid Ridge Cemetery.
Sources: Baltimore Sun, December 21, 2007; 1900 and 1910 Federal Census; Polk Baltimore Directory 1905-06
Lipps, Frederick (10-3-1870 to 2-3-1930)
Lipps, Frederick W. (9-18-1900 to 6-29-1955)
A Baltimore manufacturer of high grade chocolates and bonbons and son of a candy manufacturer. Maker of the 'Society Chocolates' a patented chocolate that was shipped all over the world. He was the son of Frederick and Anna Lipps. The 1920 census has he and his family, including his wife Carvilla (1904-1972) living at 18 Fulton Avenue, with their son Frederick, Jr. The occupation listed on the census is President of a Candy Company. Their is also a Frederick Lipps listed in the Baltimore directory as the mgr. of the Christopher Lipps Co., at 1901 W. Baltimore Street. The 1910 census has the family living at 2400 Eutaw Place. The family Frederick (39), Anna (39), Margaret (14) and Frederick (9). The 1920 census has what I believe is the senior Frederick Lipps family living at 339 Mt. Royal Avenue at the age of 44. It states he is a candy manufacture. It also states that his father was German and his mother is Swiss. The family is buried at Loudon Park Cemetery.
Eberhard Muhly (6-8-1804 to 8-22-1885) came to America around 1852 as a cabinet maker. He built a brick oven in his backyard to bake bread for his large family of 10 children. He often brought home scrapes of wood from his carpentry job to burn in his oven. He lived at 1115 Charles Street.
He allowed women in the neighborhood to bring their bread over to his oven and he would charge them 2 cents a loaf to bake it. He began selling his own bread for 5 cents a loaf to the neighbors. When his bakery business became self-sustaining in 1855, he gave up the carpentry business.
Muhly's Bakery was commandeered by General Butler's Union Army during the Civil War. The Union Army stationed on Federal Hill enjoyed many of Muhly's bakery goods, especially the gingerbread.
Muhly gave the bakery business to his son Christan after the Civil War and began to study homeopathic medicine. He practiced medicine in his home on Light Street between 1870 and 1880. He died in 1885.
The Bakery was located on Charles Street until the 1990s. Mother's Restaurant now stands in its place.
Eberhard Muhly was the first president of Martini Lutheran Church. The stained glass window of Christ healing the sick was given to the church by Muhly's grandchildren. His picture hangs in Martini's heritage hall. Mr. Muhly is buried in St. Paul's Cemetery.
Information was provided by Sandy Clark
Adam J. Otterbein (12-1845 to 3-5-1911)
The Otterbein Bakery opened in Baltimore in 1881 as a storefront pastry shop. The bakery was founded by Adam Otterbein, who emigrated from Germany in 1881. The bakery began as a small retail shop in Locust Point, near Fort McHenry. Adam married Anna Maria Sophia (Simon 1845-1922). Their children were Theresa Sophia, Leopold Leo, August Anthony and Frank Joseph.
The bakery has been operated by family, four generations (Adam (12-1845 to ), August (7-1883 to ), Joseph (1913 to) , and Mark(), since its’ opening. It has also moved from Locust Point. It is now operated by Mark Otterbein. Joseph, Mark’s father, moved the business to Northeast Baltimore in the late 1950s. Mark Otterbein served in the U.S. Navy in 1972, but later came back and joined the family business. He closed the retail operation and opened the wholesale business.
The family is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery.
Bakery Website: http://www.otterbeinsbakery.com/history/
Source: Baltimore Sun, May 24, 2006
Louis Rheb (12-11-1890 to )
Louis was born in Baltimore in Baltimore to Albert (4-1865 to ) and Cecelia (12-1868 to). Albert’s mother was German born. Both of Cecelia’s parents were born in Germany. According to the 1900 Federal Census, Albert was a baker.
Louis and Esther Rheb(11-23-1893 to 10-1980) lived on Wilkens Avenue. In 1917, Louis started making candy in the basement of their home. Taffies, Brittles, Fudge and jellies were the first candies he learned to make. He was self-taught, studying from books and experimenting for many years. The candies were sold in the markets twice a week, Esther going to Hollins and Louis to Belair. In the mid thirties, they opened in the Lexington Market. As the years passed, Louis developed more recipes, and Esther learned to hand dip the centers in a smooth and velvety chocolate which they had blended to complement each piece of candy and to their complete satisfaction. Many people came to Wilkens Avenue to buy candy, so they decided to convert their garage into a store. The Grand Opening took place in 1950, and still exists today. Hollins and Belair markets were closed a few years later. All the recipes Louis perfected remain in the family. Rheb’s is into their third generation and continue today with "Quality, Service and Value" as their most important ingredients.
Elizabeth Mimms (Schmidt) (5-9-1850 to 9-11-1942)
Peter Schmidt (9-4-1851 to 2-7-1907)
Charles Schmidt (6-21-1877 to 10-27-1952)
Elizabeth Mimms (has also been seen spelled Mühm) was a young German immigrant arriving in the U.S. in 1868 at the age of seventeen. She had few belongings, but brought with her the knowledge and skill of bread baking. In April 1874 she married another German immigrant, also a baker, Peter Schmidt, at the (German) Immanuel Reformed Church on Schroeder Street. Peter was orphaned as a youth and came to Baltimore from Schlitz, Kassel, Germany. He was an apprentice baker in the shop of Mr. Martin Schanz. His date of death was 1895. He was 92. Together he and Elizabeth had six children.
1886 was a big year for the Schmidt family. Besides it being the year that the Statute of Liberty was erected, it was also the year Elizabeth and Peter went into the bread baking business in the kitchen of her Baltimore home on Fayette near Poppleton Street. She baked and Peter sold and delivered. They later moved to Saratoga and Gilmor Streets under the name of Schmidt’s Progressive Vienna Steam Bakery.
Charles was born in Baltimore and attended the public schools there. When his father, Peter died, Charles took over the management of the bakery (see profile Elizabeth Mimms-Schmidt Bakery-Manufacturing/Retail). The business grew rapidly and in 1913, they moved to a new facility at Carey and Laurens Streets under the name of the Schmidt Baking Company. It had branches in Cumberland, Martinsburg, WV., and delivery stations in Johnstown and Bakersville, PA.
Mr. Schmidt was Chairman of the Board and his son Carl P. Schmidt was President.
He was a director and member of the Executive Committee of the Baltimore National Bank; a director of the Maryland Casualty Company, the Western Maryland Railway Company, the Maryland Tuberculosis Association and the General German Orphan Home. He was a director of the Baltimore Branch of the Red Cross and served during WWII as a member of the Board of Appeals of the Selective Service System.
The successful business began by Elizabeth and Peter is still being carried on by their family today. It has grown to become one of the largest independent bakeries in the nation.
Today the Schmidt Baking Company employs approximately 860 people with 11 distribution centers, making it the largest independent premium line wholesale baker in the mid-Atlantic region. From its two bakeries located in Baltimore, MD and Fullerton, MD, the Schmidt Baking Company produces 130 million bakery items annually."
The Schmidt's are buried in Loudon Park Cemetery.
Isaac Silber (1884 to 1945)
Isaac and Dora Silber’s bakery was located on Lombard Street. Isaac was born in Austria and Dora in Russia (according to the 1910 Census) and Isaac immigrated to the US in 1904, which is when he opened the first bakery, located at 1317 Lombard Street. Together Isaac and Dora had eight children. Their specialty was their rye bread. Several locations were opened and their main bakery was located at Monroe Street and Westwood Avenue. Isaac Silber died in 1945 and Sam Leonard Silber joined the bakery in 1949, eventually becoming the President.
Sam was born in Baltimore in 1914. He graduated from City College in 1930 and the University of Maryland in 1934. He played lacrosse there and was an All American lacrosse player. He enlisted in the Navy. He served on board many aircraft carriers in the Pacific and flew Hellcats. He received four Distinguished Flying Crosses and four air medals, as he rose to the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
Sam Silber was president of the University of Maryland’s ‘M’ Club and the Jesters Club. Samuel Isaac died February 2001.
Bernard Silber (the oldest) was a successful physician. He attended Baltimore City College, the University of Maryland and the University of Chicago School of Medicine. His focus was on internal medicine and he was also very learned in the area of nutrition and fitness. Dr. Silber was a Captain in the US Army during WWII and stationed at Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. Bernard was born in 1911 and died in March 20, 2010.
Other Silber children included Meyer Silber, Libbye Silber Sneider, Sidney Silber, Dr. Earle Silber and Evelyn Silber Krohn.
Herman Charles Wockenfuss (1875 to )
Wockenfuss Candies is proud to be one of the oldest candy makers in Baltimore. The year 2015 was a special one for Wockenfuss, as they will be celebrating their 100th Birthday. They are a family owned business that is now in its fifth generation of candy-making.
It all started for us when Herman Charles Wockenfuss was born in 1875 in West Prussia, Germany. He was the son of Herman Julius Wockenfuss (6-12-1841 to 4-14-1929) and Gustina (Schumick 1837-1906). He came to America in 1887 and eventually learned how to make candy. In 1915, he proudly opened the Wockenfuss Candy Company, known today as Wockenfuss Candies.
Herman Charles continued to operate the business until his son Herman Lee and his wife Marian took it over in 1945 when Herman Lee returned from World War II. Under Herman Lee’s direction, the business continued to evolve and added three more stores to its flagship location on Belair Road in Northeast Baltimore. Herman Lee was instrumental in creating the signature homemade chocolate candies that are now so closely associated with Wockenfuss Candies’ reputation.
Though Herman Lee and his wife Marian are still involved in the business, their son Paul is now the owner and president of Wockenfuss Candies. Under Paul’s direction, the business is continuing to evolve. Presently, there are 8 retail stores in Maryland, including 3 in Ocean City, MD and also an internet business that continues to grow. The internet website is www.wockenfusscandies.com.
As we continue to grow and near our 100th Birthday, the family is still very involved in every aspect of the business. Presently, 4 generations of the Wockenfuss family are involved in the business. This includes 15 family members who are eagerly looking forward to the next 100 years.
[Information courtesy Paul Wockenfuss, President, Wockenfuss Candy Company, Inc.]
Wockenfuss, Bernard (7-2-1915 to 8-26-2004)
Bernard 'Wocky' Wockenfuss was born in Salisbury, the first son of Herman C. and Ryda B. (Hudson). He lived in Baltimore until 1942 and worked in his father's candy business. He went to Johns Hopkins University from 1934 to 1935, General Motors Institute from 1936 to 1940, University of Michigan in 1944, University of Delaware of Delaware in 1947, Harvard University in 1954. When he graduated from GMI he went to work for General Motors and retired from there after 39 years in April of 1974.
Bernard was married to Beatrice Wallace on January 11, 1941. After her passing he married Eliza Cordes in 1975. He had three daughters. He died in Michigan.
Woodlea Bakery-Hergenroeder Family
John Hergenroeder, Sr. (9-8-1881 to 4-1967) Immigrated from Omerridenberg, Germany and opened what became the family business. Woodlea Bakery was opened on April 3, 1943 in Northeast Baltimore. He married Dorothy. During those early days experienced many hard times. Their opening coincided with the war rationing efforts and confections were made with black-market sugar and honey.
Charles Hergenroeder, Sr. ( to 2007)
John Hergenroeder (10-10-1909 to 10-28-1999) He was a regular parishioner at St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church and a regular contributor to the African missionaries and the orphanages in the Baltimore area.
Woodlea Bakery is located at 4905 Belair Road, Baltimore, Maryland 21206, 410-488-7717. Website: http://www.woodleabakery.com/frame.html.
Source: Baltimore Sun, October 12, 1999; Baltimore Sun, April 12, 2007; Social Security Death Index;
Zirkler Union Square Bakery
Erwin Zirkler (8-5-1910 to 11-21-1998) and his wife Helene (5-18-1913 to 1-3-2000) operated their row house bakery at Hollins Avenue and Carrollton Avenue, for more than 50 years. Their three daughters also worked in the bakery. The bakery was closed in 1978.
Erwin Zirkler was a German immigrant. He met Helene in the bakery and they married in 1934. He did all of the baking from the basement ovens and Helene managed the store. Helene Zirkler was also a German immigrant.
Source: Baltimore Sun, January 7, 2000; Baltimore Sun, November 25, 1998
Biography Index >