First United Evangelical Baltimore
6115 O'Donnell Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21224
Also known as 1st German United Evangelical (owner according to tax record), and Schwartz Cemetery.
The First United Evangelical Community
This cemetery is comprised of six acreas and originally cost three thousand dollars. It is located opposite Mt. Carmel Cemetery on Trappe Rd. (now O’Donnell Street). It was under the supervision of St. Paul’s German United Evangelical Church. It was consecrated on April 15, 1877. The a.k.a. Schwartz Cemetery is probably because the 1st pastor of the First German United Evangelical Church, located at 1700 Eastern Avenue (Eastern Hall) in 1859 was Rev. Andreas Schwartz. Dr. Rev. Andreas Schwartz was the pastor of many churches including the German Evangelical Congregation or German Protestant St. John's in Wheeling West Virginia; the First German United Evangelical as stated above in 1859; the German Evangelical Lutheran Zions Church in Canton in 1870 and the United German Evangelical Church on East Avenue and Dillon Sts. from 1873-1899.
The name 'Deutsch' or German was taken out of the inscription over the cemetery during WWII. There was a chapel on the premises where German services were held until the structure was demolished in the 1940s.
There are many German names in this cemetery.
Records for this cemetery were given to the Maryland Historical Society.
On our most recent visit to the cemetery there was a sign as we were leaving with the following information:
Names from memorials: