St. Matthew's Doub-1920
Source: Centennial History of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Maryland 1820-1920, Wentz
Source: Centennial History of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Maryland 1820-1920, Wentz
The Manor-Doubs pastorate covers the territory south of Frederick between the Catoctin Mountain and the Monocacy River, known as Carroll's Manor, from which it derives its name.
The pastorate consists of three churches: St. Matthew's, on the Point of Rocks road, four miles north of Doubs; St. Mark's, at Doubs, and St. Luke's, at Point of Rocks. The parsonage is at Doubs.
St. Matthew's Church is the parent church of the pastorate and was for a long time the only Lutheran church in this part of the county. Its early history is involved in obscurity. The date of its organization is not known. On August 8, 1812 the cornerstone of a union church (Lutheran and Reformed ) was laid on land presented by Mr. Waltz, near the old meeting house on Carroll's Manor, at which time Rev. David F. Schaeffer of Frederick, preached in English and Rev. S. Helfenstein in German.
For many years this church was supplied by Lutheran ministers from Frederick, but in 1841 it was made a part of the Jefferson charge, with which it was connected until the year 1886.
During this time it was served by the following ministers:
- Rev. W. F. Eyster 1841-1843
- Rev. D. J. Hauer 1845-1 853
- Rev. G S. Collins. 1853-1854
- Rev. H. Appleby 1855-1857
- Rev. E. Dorsey, 1857-1858
- Rev. H. G. Bowers 1858-1878
- Rev. W. H. Settlemeyer 1878-1886
On January 4, 1893, the Lutherans sold out their interest at the Manor to the Reformed and the present St. Matthew's Church was dedicated August 13. 1893.
Prior to 1878 St. Matthew's was the only Lutheran church on Carroll's Manor, though the Lutheran pastors of the Jefferson pastorate preached at intervals of from six to twelve weeks in the old Calico Rock school house, midway between Doubs and Point of Rocks.
In 1886 St. Mark's congregation, at Doubs, was organized. A church was built under the direction of Rev. Settlemeyer.
The St. Luke's congregation, of Point of Rocks, was organized in 1887, and the church built in 1889.
In 1886, the Jefferson pastorate was divided and the Manor-Doubs pastorate was formed. Rev. A. H. Burk was the first pastor of the new charge and served one year, but was recalled in 1892 and served the pastorate five years.
- Rev. A. H. Burk served 1886-1887
- Rev. C. W. Sechrist served 1887-1892
- Rev. A. H. Burk served 1892-1897
- Rev. William L. Hauser served 1897-1903
- Rev. G. William Millar served 1904-1907
- Rev. William B. Oney served 1908-1909
- Rev. Paul II. Ketterman served 1910-1912
- Rev. P. J. Wade served 1912-1917
- Rev. E. L. Folk served 1918-1921
- Rev. J.E. Ainsworth 1922-1924
- Rev. C. H. Shull 1924-1932
- Rev. Arthur Null 1932-1949
- Rev. Alfred R. Gobbel 1950-1954
- Rev. Gordon Hite 1955-1959
- Rev. Dean Anderson 1959-1963
- Rev. Henry E. Schaefer, Jr. 1964-1969
- Rev. Campbell McKinnon 1970-1974
- Rev. C. L. King (Vice Pastor) 1974-1976
- Rev. W. Denny Jernigan 1976-1983
- Rev. Thomas M. and Susan M. Lang 1983-1987
- Rev. James Slingloff (Vice Pastor) 1987-1989
- Rev. Charles Rampp 1989-1996
- Rev. Marina Flores 1997-2011
The St. Matthew's congregation, the mother church, in 1920, had a membership of one hundred twenty. The St. Mark's congregation had about one hundred, and St. Luke's forty.
Among the older and charter members of the pastorate we record the names of Samuel T. Whip, John Buzzard, George Willard, D. M. Whip, and William N. Hoffman.
The superintendents of the Sunday schools in 1920 were
St. Mark's, L. E. Willard
St. Matthew's. Edward Hawken
St. Luke's. Charles Stunkle