St. Paul's German Lutheran -Frostburg
St. Paul's German Lutheran congregation was organized in 1860, by Rev. Mr. Steagle. Among the original members were Valentine Creutzburg, Valentine Lintz, Henry Schram, Henry Creutzburg, Gottleib Miller, Conrad Wingfelt, George Schram, and Christian Fier. At its formation it numbered about fifteen members, mostly German immigrants. After occupying the old schoolhouse for a year as the meeting-house, they moved to the Presbyterian church, where services were held until the erection of the church in 1872. The church was always supplied by preachers from the Maryland Synod, and was connected with the Frostburg Lutheran Church. In 1870 the church was begun, and at the same time a misunderstanding occurred among its members, which resulted in the division of the congregation and the formation of two different groups. The church was completed in 1872. It was a frame structure, twenty-five by forty feet. The elders were Ernest Geintzburg, Christian Fier, and the Sunday-school superintendent, Henry Schram.
On the division of the congregation about 1870, the German Lutheran (Missouri Synod) congregation was formed, comprising among its members George Miller, August Tribbet, John Longlet, August Frenzeny and wife, and Samuel Phoebe. The ministers who served were Rev. Mr. Shancovie, Rev. Mr. Keglie, Rev. Charles Louderbach, and Rev. Ernest Sander. The congregation associated with the Lonaconing Church.
Excerpt below from the Historical filing for the German Lutheran Church in Barton, near Frostburg, Allegany-I am assuming this is the same congregation/church.
On February 1, 1867 the Trustees for the German Evangelical Lutheran Church purchased land from William Shaw, one of the founders of Barton. Once the land was obtained from Shaw, a one room meeting house was constructed west of ‘Dutch Row’ in Barton. The original 16 families comprising the congregation were predominantly German immigrants as is evidenced by the names of the original trustees: August Tribut, Chhristopher Gottlieb Miller and Valentine Creutzburg. The church continued to use the building until the 1920s when a new church as constructed. At that time the original was sold to the United Mine Worker who used it as a meeting room. (filing prepared 1977)
Do you have more details...? Please share. Contact us at email@example.com