Mt. Olivet Baltimore
Source: Website: http://www.lovelylane.net/mtolivet/index.html
2930 Frederick Avenue
The Cemetery was authorized by the State Legislature in 1845 and wasd dedicated on July 16, 1849.
Mount Olivet Cemetery is known as "The Resting Place of Methodist Bishops." “Bishops’ Lot ” was given to the Baltimore Conference for such “traveling preachers and their wives” as they may wish to be buried there. On this lot, the Trustees of Lovely Lane erected the “Bishops’ Monument” which was dedicated June 16, 1854. It is a monolith of Italian marble and measures 18 feet. Near this monument rest the remains of Bishops Francis Asbury, Enoch George, John Emory and Beverly Waugh and his wife. In recent years the ashes of E. Stanley Jones and Mabel Lossing Jones, leaders of the modern church and world missionaries, were interred in the lot.
We visited the cemetery in June of 2011. The grass was mowed and the cemetery was clean, but it was apparent that there are problems. Many of the stones were overturned, many broken. It is a very large cemetery and probably quite difficult to maintain. It is in a decaying area of Baltimore. One should not visit alone.
There are over 30,000 souls in this cemetery so finding one could be very difficult. Fortunately, there is a list of transcriptions (complete). Click here.
Lovely Lane Church Office
phone at 410-889-1512
email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Transcriptions of the Photographs: