Zion German Reformed-Baltimore
Zion German Reformed Church
History of Baltimore City 1729-1893, S.B. Nelson, Publisher, 1893
This congregation was organized/founded on February 16, 1874. The first pastor was the Rev. Mr. Neff. The church was located at the corner of Aisquith and Edward Streets and grew consistently. A Sunpaper article reported that it was the offspring of St. John’s German Reformed Church.
A session of the Annual German Reform Classis was held at Zion German Reformed in May of 1899.
In 1876 the church at Aisquith and Edwards was sold to the a Presbyterian Church and sold again to Oheb Yakof Hebrew Congregation in 1901. On March 11, 1903, Zion German Reformed purchased an existing building, built in 1833, at Harford and Chase Streets. There is also the possibility that the church moved to Iona Terrace, which has since been sold to the Shepherd Community Baptist Church. Here, in 1904, they celebrated their 30th Anniversary on February 22nd. The Pastor at that time was Rev. J. Sommerlatte. They also had a 35th year celebration in 1909.
The Farewell sermon in the old church was given by Gustav Facius and the welcoming sermon in the new church was given by Paul Wienend of St. John's. Both were in German.
Pastors of Zion German Reformed
· Rev. Neef
· Rev. Henry Nerger
· Rev. Gustav Facius
· Rev. J. Sommerlatte
Photos courtesy of Ms. Barbara Becker Hinder (ggranddaughter of Conrad Meid, the first President of Zion Reformed Church Council.)
The First Pastor of Zion Reformed
35th Anniversary Celebration
Rev. Henry Nerger