4430 Belair Road
Baltimore, MD 21206-6395
Phone: 410- 485-4227
This cemetery opened in 1880 and was once associated with St. James Church.
History of the Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery:
The Redemptorists were authorized to open a cemetery of about sixty acres near the Gardenville section of Baltimore County, on May 3, 1882, by the Maryland House of Delegates. On October 1 of that year, the plot formerly known as St. James Catholic Cemetery, which had been interring the deceased since August 1880, was thereafter designated the “Catholic Cemetery of the Most Holy Redeemer,” when an agreement was struck between the parish communities of St. James the Less and St. Michael the Archangel to conjointly control and manage it. It is bounded by Moravia and Belair Roads and North Avenue. The central office for Most Holy Redeemer was located in the parish church of St. James the Less on East Eager Street whose pastors were for many years the presidents of the cemetery corporation. Today, records are kept at the office of Sacred Heart of Jesus Cemetery.
The most predominant feature of Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery is the Furst Chapel, situated on the Chapel Hill section of the cemetery. The chapel was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Frank A. Furst and they are entombed therein, together with 61 Redemptorist confreres whose remains were transferred in 1978 from the Redemptorist cemetery at Ilchester, Maryland, where the Order’s novitiate had been for decades. Generations of Redemptorists are also buried in the priests’ circle.
Among its notable inhabitants, Most Holy Redeemer is home to Henry Gunther, the last casualty of World War I and Catherine Ruth, mother of Babe Ruth.
The cemetery is maintained by the Redemptorist Fathers.
More information, click here!
We visited the cemetery on November 11, 2010 to participate in a Veteran's Day celebration for Henry Gunther. The cemetery is maintained by the Redemptorist Fathers.
The 100th Anniversary of the death of Henry Gunther, who was the last American killed in WWI, just minutes before the end of WWI, was celebrated on November 11, 2018 when the German Society of Maryland sponsored a memorial service and celebration of his life.