Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Christ-Baltimore County
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church is located at 7146 Golden Ring Road. The church, according to their website began around 1865, however, there are some indications it was founded in pre-civil war times. It would appear it began in the 1860’s as the “Free and Independent Evangelical Howard Congregation," named after a Mr. Howard who was part owner of the Locust Grove Iron Furnace. The church was built to service the workers of the Company.
In 1866, the named was changed to the “United German Lutheran and Reformed Church. The church was too small and in 1892 demolished to make room for a new church, which was dedicated in 1896 and named, “Evangelical Zions Church." The church was again enlarged in 1930 and the name at that time changed to ‘Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church.’ It is now part of the United Church of Christ. The name Zion (Evangelical Lutheran) Church of Christ.
The church has a large cemetery, where a walk through will tell you many details of its past. The majority of headstones are old and the names hold the story of many past German immigrants into the area.
Rev. John Leonberger (1-6-1822 to 9-7-1886) (Also served St. Michael’s Lutheran on 9534 Belair Rd. 1879-1882)
Rev. Henry W. Ellenberger (2-24-1873 to 3-3-1956) (Also served St. Paul’s Cordova)
Rev. John W. Schauer (8-23-1892 to 11-14-1964)
Rev. Robert Ridenour
Rev. C. Larry Fisher
7146 Golden Ring Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21221