Emmanuel (Immanuel) English Lutheran Church
Emmanuel Lutheran Church-Baltimore
Church Website: http://www.emmanuelbaltimore.org/pages/history
In 1887, a small group of members of well-established German-speaking Missouri Synod Lutheran churches saw an urgent need to form an English-speaking congregation here in Baltimore. January 19, 1888, Emmanuel English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Baltimore was organized with ten charter members. The first English-speaking mission of the Missouri Synod, pioneered by a handful of worshippers with limited financial resources, set out to serve the Lord under the capable leadership of its first pastor, the Reverend William Dallmann.
In 1889 the old Brantly Baptist Church building at Pierce and Schroeder Streets, became the congregation’s first worship facility and was used until 1914.
Prior to World War I, a building site was acquired at the corner of Warwick and Edmondson Avenues in West Baltimore. On February 8, 1941, a new church structure was dedicated at this site.
In 1921 The Reverend Rudolph S. Ressmeyer came to Emmanuel Congregation and served as pastor until 1956. In 1940, under his leadership, a new constitution was adopted which eliminated the word "English" from our corporate name.
On October 23, 1955 a ground-breaking service took place under a new pastor, the Reverend George Loose, at our present location. The dedication of the present church building and the first wing of the school building were celebrated on April 7, 1957. The second wing of the school building was dedicated in 1962.
In 1957 the congregation began the first radio broadcast of its Sunday service at its new site, a ministry which has continued uninterrupted.
In 1990, recognizing the need for an enlarged gathering space to supplement the narthex, more classroom, office and meeting space, and improved handicap accessibility, planning was begun for renovations and additions to the existing church and school building. This work was completed in two phases. The first phase, carried out during the summer of 1999, gave us a new lighted parking lot and site infrastructure upgrading. Groundbreaking for the second phase, the building expansion, was held on April 29, 2001. These new and renovated facilities were dedicated on Sunday, January 27, 2002, in a festival service that also celebrated our 114th anniversary.
With the help of God, we have ventured forth with the same dedication, faith, and commitment as those who founded the congregation over a century ago.
Pastors of Emmanuel:
1888-1898 - William Dallmann
1898-1902 - C.A. Abbetmeyer
1902-1910 - C.F.W. Meyer
1910-1913 - Theodore F. Hahn
1914-1920 - Paul F. Bente
1920-1921 - John M. Bailey
1921-1956 - Rudolph S. Ressmeyer
1956-1969 - George A. Loose
1970-1984 - Walter G. Malinsky
1984-2002 - Robert L. Mordhorst
2004-Present - Martin J. Schultheis
Associate and Assistant Pastors:
1942-1945 - Robert C. Haupt, Assistant
1945-1950 - William VonSpreckelsen, Associate
1950-1954 - Rudolph P.F. Ressmeyer, Assistant
1973-1983 - Gerald H. Schader, Assistant
1984-1986 - Walter G. Malinsky, Assistant
1991-1999 - Thomas J. Krepps, Assistant
2000-2002 - Leo M. Richter, Assistant
Emmanuel Lutheran Church and School
929 Ingleside Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21228