St. Matthew's Lutheran - Beaver Creek
Source: Centennial History of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Maryland 1820-1920, Wentz
Church Website: http://bcklutheranparish.org/UCSM.php.
This congregation was organized about 1845 by the pastor of the Funkstown charge. The cornerstone of the building was laid April 12, 1845 and the church was completed and dedicated that same year. The congregation has never been a large one; the organization began with fifty-two members, and in 1920 there were fifty-eight.
St. Matthew's had been served through most of its history by the pastors of the Funkstown charge, of which it was a part. But in 1908 it withdrew from the Funkstown charge and attached itself to the Boonsboro charge. Since that date it was served by the pastors of the Boonsboro Church.
The council in 1920 was composed of Messrs. Frank Funk, Henry Long, Elias Baker, John Newcomer, Clifford Houpt, and John Hose. The superintendent of the Sunday school was Mr. Elias Baker.
The church itself stands on a beautiful elevation near the handsome edifice of the Disciples' Church and the Beaver Creek High School.
Location of the church:
9714 Beaver Creek Church Rd.
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 739-0116