St. Luke's Evangelical Reformed
St. Luke’s Evangelical Reformed Church
Source: History of Baltimore Maryland, 1729-1895, Elliott, Published S.B. Nelson
This congregation was organized, as Der Evangelisch Lutherschen Sankt Lucas Gemeinde, in the western section of the city in 1864. It was organized under Rev. R. Riley, in a room over a grocery store.
The original, St. Lucas, was located at the Southwest corner of Henrietta and Eutaw Streets. The original brick building at this location was razed in 1970 or early 80s to make room for the new Martin Luther King Boulevard.
The congregation was served by the Evangelical Synod starting in 1899. When a new pastor was needed they went to the seminaries in search of a German speaking Pastor. In 1923 the church moved to an already constructed church at the Southwest corner of Fayette and Carey Streets.
In 1927 the Evangelical and Reformed churches merged and then again in 1957 they became the United Church of Christ.
The neighborhood changed around 1890 and some of the parish had moved. The membership, however, in 1890 was at 602, a healthy number.
With the help of one of our followers, we can establish that the church was still active in 1977 when the last wedding was performed by then Pastor Gabler.
On a visit to the area in July 2015, the church is still standing. It is certainly showing its’ age, but also shows a glimpse of its diverse and strong history. It does not appear that the church is in use. There was no name on the signage in the front. If this is the case, it will not be long before the church is in total disrepair.
If you have additional information on this church’s history or of its’ use today, please contact us at GermanMarylanders@gmail.com
- Rev. R. Riley
- Rev. Dr. Rankine 1853-1886
- Rev. George W. Harrod 1886-1893
- Rev. William A. Coale 1893
- Rev. Klemme
- Rev. Paul Gabler
Carey & Fayette Streets
Baltimore City, Maryland