St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran
There is conflicting information about this specific church. One source (church index at the Maryland Archives) lists the church location at 402 S. Bond Street, which is today, St. Vincent DePaul's Beans and Bread. It notes that it was an active church from 1869-1893 with no previous address and no later address. The denomination was Lutheran and the congregation was German.
Other information we have found points to an earlier founding date. It also notes that it was called St. Petri's (German) Church. Church was founded in 1861. The first pastor Herzberg, who was succeeded by Schloegel in 1862. The church building was located on 406 S.Bond Street between Eastern Avenue and Bank. Some conflicting information found shows that the church existed prior to the Civil War, founded by Herzberg and succeeded by Rev. Brown, Rev. Schwartz and then Rev. Schloegel. Around 1892 (the death of Schloegel), St. Peter’s became the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Peace, led by a Rev. Albrecht (2-5-1892). It eventually became Bethany Lutheran.
It is listed in the 1880 Baltimore City Directory.
Another source names the church and states it was located at the corner of Fayette and East Streets. The cornerstone was laid on March 28, 1875. Early pastor, Rev. C.A. Schlorgle (also Schloeger). It has also been documented that the church fell upon difficult times and was insolvent. At the death of Rev. Schlorgle /Schloegel, they disbanded. There are several factories and residential homes in this area.
Information from a Civil War Pension file in the National Archives indicate that the Rev. C.A. Schlorgle resided at 169 S. Bond Street. Another Civil War pension record for a William Keiner (3rd MD Infantry) contained a statement indicating that William and Annie Keiner were married at the German Evangelical Lutheran Church on South Bond Street on April 18, 1864. The statement was dated October 13, 1886, which does confirm the information found regarding the church being active until 1892.
The property passed to the Rev. Schloegel’s widow and children upon his death in 1892.
The property was sold to the First Gallician Congregation Magen Abraham B’nai Frankel Anshe Litowsk of Baltimore City on 6-27-1902.
See profiles for information about Pastor Schloegel.
 Sunpaper Article 9-9-1879 (article about a roofer that falls to his death between house of C.A. Schloegel and St. Peter’s German Lutheran Church.
 Baltimore Past & Present, 1871, Elliott, page 242
If you have any information that would clarify, please drop us an email at email@example.com.
Even more confusing is information about a cemetery, St. Peter's Cemetery, also called Schloegel's Cemetery and Schlögels Friedhof . Information is available, but the cemetery if present is so overrun with weeds, trees, etc. See Cemeteries and please respond if you have information or ancestor's buried at this site.