German Evangelical Lutheran Salem Congregation
905 Frederick Road
Catonsville, Maryland 21228
Church Website: http://www.salem-catonsville.org/home.htm
Architecture of ‘Old Salem’: http://www.salem-catonsville.org/Site/history/Architecture-of-old-salem.pdf
Centennial History of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Maryland 1820-1920, Wentz
According to the timeline on the church website, the Church was established in 1849 as the German Evangelical Lutheran Salem Congregation , in 1850 the school and in 1851, the cemetery. The urge for their own church was stimulated by Rev. Heyer during one of his visits home from his missionary service in India. A piece of ground was purchased in what was then called, 'The Village'. The piece of ground was large enough for the church, parsonage, school and cemetery. Some of the names found on the roster in 1852 were Ege, Gerwig, Leinbach, Spelhaus, Wessling, Knepling, Piel, Renz, Dill Schneider, Maisel and Reich. Rev. A. Brockmann was their first pastor. He is buried in their cemetery. He was succeeded by Rev. George W. Ebeling in 1854.
English services were added in 1858 during the tenure of Pastor Ebeling. Also during this time in 1879, the school established in 1850 becomes a public school in Baltimore County.
In 1901, it was decided to build a new church more in the center of Catsonsville. A piece of property was purchased at Frederick and Newburg Avenues. Ground was broken in 1902. In 1901, the church had its last German Service. It was also in 1901 that Pastor Ebeling passed away and was replaced by the Associate Pastor at that time, Rev. M.L. Enders. In 1903 a second building on Frederick Road was completed and dedicated. The sermon was preached by the Pastors father, Rev. G.W. Enders. In 1910 Pastor Enders was called to Cumberland to serve St. Paul's. Rev. John C. Bowers succeeded him. Rev. Dr. Bowers served for nine years. In 1911 a parsonage and a stable were built next to the church. In 1917 a Sunday school was added and in 1918, the church joined officially, the United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA). In 1929 a new organ was installed and there is information on the church site about their organ (the original was a Moller organ). The sanctuary was remodeled in 1932.
Elsie Rau was made Music Director and in 1948, the church adopted their new constitution. In 1955 a new Education building was completed.
The congregation became part of the LCA in 1962 and in 1988 became part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
The church operates the ‘Old Salem’ cemetery on the site of the original church at 701 Ingleside Avenue in Catonsville. The old church and cemetery were added to the National Historic Registry in 1976 (#77000683).
C. Brockman 1850-1853
George W. Ebeling 1854-1901
Martin Luther Enders 1903-1910
John Culler Bowers 1911-1947
Wilbur V. Newby 1948-1960
G. Paul Lottich 1961-1976
G. Edward Whetstone 1977-2010
David Asendorf 2011- (named Associate Pastor in 2007)
Information at the Maryland State Archives, MSA S 1512-440 (01/09/09/67); MSA SC 2602