21513 Leitersburg-Smithsburg Road
Hagerstown, MD 21742
We visited this cemetery in April 2016. Prior to the visit we had researched and found the names of many of the older souls through the records of Thomas Scharf in the ‘History of Western Maryland, J. Thomas Scharf, AM, Vol. II, 1882’.
The list of names obtained from that volume led our search. We did find many of the older stones, but not all of the older stones. Some may be in our unreadables.
The church building erected in Leitersburg in 1826 by the congregation two-story stone and roughcast building, with galleries on three sides. Originally it had neither belfry nor bell, but one was secured in 1850 and placed on a tower in the rear of the church until 1853 when a belfry was built.
The church was dedicated September 2nd, the ceremonies being in both German and English. The first church council to whom the deed for the lot was given were Frederick Zeigler, John Byers, Jacob Bell, Lewis Trittle, John Bowers, and Henry H. Snider.
The site for church and cemetery were purchased for $100 from John Lahm and deeded to Frederick Ziegler, John Byer, Jacob Bell, Lewis Tritle, John Bowers and H. H. Snyder composing the Church Council.