German Evangelical Church of Peace
German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Peace (also called Prince of Peace)
2013 Gough Street, Baltimore, Maryland
The Rev. George Albrecht, a native of Braunschweig, Germany, formed this church February 5, 1892. It was organized as a Mission of the General Synod of the Lutheran Church and supported the membership of the then closed St. Peter’s German Lutheran Church on Bond Street.
The congregation rented and later purchased the old Shaffer M.E. church located then on Gough Street near Washington. The property was improved with a parsonage added in 1894. In 1892, Rev. Albrecht resigned to take an appointment with the missionaries in India. The Rev. Richard Schmidt was his replacement. Rev. Schmidt was the pastor of St. Matthew's German Lutheran Church in Hagerstown. The regular worship was conducted in German, but provisions were made in the constitution for the use of English whenever a majority of the members felt it was advisable. Later directories indicate that the church moved to 741-745 North Lakewood Avenue.
There are also early ties with Bethany Lutheran Church.