Source: Centennial History of the Evangelical Church in Maryland 1820-1920, Wentz;
Schlicter’s Two Centuries of Grace and Growth in Manchester;
Church Website: http://www.lazaruschurch.org/
The North Carroll came about in 1919 at the Synod convention. Until that time Lineboro and Bachman’s were part of the Manchester charge. For some years, however, it had been felt that the growing field at Lineboro ought to have more pastoral attention and more services than the arrangements with Manchester permitted. At the same time it was felt that the Manchester church could well use all the time and energy of a pastor. Accordingly, in July, 1919. Manchester voted to sever her pastoral relationship with Lineboro and Bachman's. These two congregations shortly thereafter concurred in this action of the Manchester church, and insisted that the severance of relations take place as soon as the Synod would give assent. Thus at the meeting of the Synod in 1919 the North Carroll charge was officially constituted.
The corner stone of Lazarus Church was placed September 25, 1853. The building committee was V. B. Wentz, John Kroh, and George Grove. The brick structure was rapidly completed and shortly thereafter Lutheran and Reformed congregations were organized at Lineboro by the pastors of their respective denominations at Manchester.
The first Pastor, Rev. Peter Schauer served the Lutheran congregation from 1855 to 1861. At this time the church was placed with the Bachman Church in the Manchester Reformed and Lutheran Charge. They remained there until 1919. At that time, both were placed in the North Carroll Lutheran Charge.
In 1908 the old church was razed and a new one was erected. The building committee this time was V. B. Wentz, J. V. Wentz, and J. F. Warner. The church was dedicated December 20, 1908.
The building was jointly owned by the Lutheran and Reformed congregations. The structure is of brick, with Indiana limestone and the shape cruciform. The building was heated with steam, is illuminated with gas supplied by its own gasoline plant, and its roof is of slate. Three beautiful windows, each ten by fifteen feet, throw a flood of light from the thres large gables, and there is another fine window in the gable of the Sunday school department.
All these windows, together with the smaller ones, are of cathedral and opalescent glass. The tower, through which is the main entrance, is twelve by twelve feet, and is furnished with a tine 1,435-pound McShane bell. The main audience room is forty by sixty-five feet, exclusive of the sanctuary, in which is placed a fine altar, with reredos. The pews are circular, heavy and "delightfully comfortable." and will seat three hundred fifty. The Sunday school room is separated by folding doors, and will seat four hundred, which makes the total seating capacity seven hundred fifty. In addition, there is a Primary Sunday School Department, pastor's room and choir alcove. The total cost of the church was about $15.000, all of which was provided for before the day of dedication, except the small sum of $900. An appeal made for this amount resulted in an offering of $1,406. Dr. J. A. Singmaster, of our Seminary at Gettysburg, and Dr. William C. Schaeffer. of Lancaster. Pennsylvania, delivered the dedicatory addresses.
This congregation at the 1920 writing of the source, had given two of her sons to the Lutheran ministry, namely: Rev. Professor Abdel Ross Wentz, Ph.D., of the Theological Seminary at Gettysburg [and also writer, compiler of the source used ‘Centennial History of the Evangelical Church in Maryland 1820-1920], and Rev. Charles A. Shilke, pastor of the Utica charge in this Synod.
There is a cemetery next to the church. A listing of souls buried at Lazarus Cemetery (thanks to K. Langford for the listing)
On December 3, 2013 at 4:30am a two alarm fire broke out in Lazarus Lutheran Church.
Firefighters from Carroll, Baltimore and York Counties fought the blaze for approximately 2 hours before bringing it under control. No one was hurt, but the interior of the church has been destroyed. Damages have been estimated at one million dollars.
Lazarus is a union church, providing a place of worship for both UCC and ELCA congregants. Several congregations in the area, including both ELCA and non-ELCA churches, have offered assistance. Space was been provided so that Christmas and Christmas Eve services can be held. Communion ware has been loaned for the 7:00pm prayer. The congregation still meets to worship and hasn’t missed a beat in their services.
Records are available at the Carroll County Public Library and the Carroll County Genealogical Society
The congregation is in the process of rebuilding. If you would care to help, in any way, you may contact the church through their website at http://www.lazaruschurch.org/.
Lazarus after devastating fire-December 2013