Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church Cumberland
We visited this cemetery in May of 2015 and in April of 2016. It is well cared for and contains many of the German Catholics, many new to the territory.
According to 'Fifty Years of Saints Peter & Paul's Church at Cumberland, 1848-1898', prior to the purchase of this piece of ground, the parishioners were served by a small cemetery behind the church.
The purchase of this property was proposed in 1850 by Father Urbanczeck. The two and one eighth acres was land adjoining the Episcopalian cemetery, which lies next to Rose Hill. It was purchased by the Germans and they paid $212.00. The lots were sold to the congregants for $15 per plot.
A crucifix carved by Brother Pius was added in 1852. The loans on the land were paid off by Father Dold, who came to Sts. Peter and Paul's in 1852.
Additional acres were purchased over the years.
If you have information on the history and would like to share, please contact email@example.com
To view the memorials we have photographed, click here.
Transcriptions, click here.
Shrine of Saints Peter & Paul Cemetery
Cumberland, MD 21502