German Lutheran Cemetery Frostburg
We do not know much about this little cemetery. It is across the road from the larger St. Michael's Catholic Cemetery. We did find reference to the German Lutheran Cemetery in a Sharf history. It stated that it was part of the Evangelical German Lutheran Church built in 1846 by Rev. C. Lepley as an English Lutheran Church. In 1853 and 1854 the German Lutheran Reformed congregation met in the church under Rev. Joseph R. Focht, and soon after bought the property. In 1867 a separation took place, the Reformed members erecting their own church at Broadway, and leaving the German Lutherans in possession of the property. A number of pastors succeeded each other, some only staying a brief period.
On Nov. 1, 1879, Rev. A. Homrighaus being called from Schenectady, N. Y., took charge of the congregation, under whose administration the old edifice was remodeled at an expense of six thousand five hundred dollars. The dedication of the remodeled edifice took place on July 24, 1881. Revs. P. P. Henrighausen, of Baltimore, Samuel C. Yingling, of Harrisburg, and P. L. Harrison, of Frostburg, were present and participated. There having been only one German service in the morning since the organization of the church, an English service was introduced by the pastor at night.
Among the pastors preceding Rev. Homrighaus were Rev. M. During, Rev. B. Sickle, and Rev. Mr. Stump. The congregation grew under Rev. Homrighaus.
A lot of ground was purchased by W. McCulloh and laid out as a cemetery for the church, to be known as the German Lutheran Cemetery.
On our visit to the cemetery in April 2016, the following transcriptions were done.
Photos of the markers, click here.