Mount Union Brethren Church
Source: Centennial History of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Maryland 1820-1920, Wentz
Location: Gorsuch Road, near Shiloh Road
Mount Union church was built during 1858 on land given by Jacob and Ruth Sellers during 1853 for the use of the members of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ and for the free use by the German Reformed Lutherans and the Methodists at any time not occupied by the United Brethren’. The trustees for the church were Samuel Deahoff, Thomas Bosley, Henry Keller, Henry Shaffer and Solomon Sentz. The Sellers and Mr. Keller and Mr. Sentz are buried in the adjoining cemetery.
The seats initially consisted of slabs giving the church the nickname ‘Slab Union’. Until Shiloh Methodist Church was built in 1883, that congregation worshipped at Mount Union.
A new church was built in 1912 and dedicated on March 30, 1913 that replaced the original structure and continued to serve the congregation until services were suspended in July of 1927. Members moved, some to Greenmount United Brethren Church. During the 1930s the church was torn down and the materials were used to build a house on old Manchester Road.
The cemetery was set aside as a grave yard for anyone wishing to be buried there in the 1853 deed. There are 10 rows of stones with approximately one hundred graves. Inscriptions were done in 1979 and in 1993.
Joseph Leister cared for the cemetery until his death in 1965 at which time Parke and Rachel Leister cared for it until Parke’s death in 1989.