On the 14th of January, 1894, a Sunday School was organized under the direction of the Reformed Church Extension Society of Baltimore. The school was first held in a room at the southeast corner of Hanover and West streets, but on January 20, 1895, it was removed to Wacker's Hall on West Hamburg Street. On May 12, 1895, the congregation was organized with twenty-four members. The congregation was a branch of First Reformed Church on North Calvert Street. A lot, sixty feet by sixty-nine feet, on the southwest corner of Fort Avenue and Clarkson Street was purchased February 21, 1896, at a cost of $2,500. The church was dedicated on December 13, 1896. The dedicatory service was preached by Rev. T.F. Hoffmeier, president of the board of trustees of Maryland. The evening service was preached by Rev. W.I. Stewart of Christ Reformed Church.
The building was made of Falls Road stone with granite trimmings and is of Gothic architecture. The interior was a main auditorium and a Sunday school room. There was a gallery over the Sunday school room. The windows were of Cathedral glass and were donated through Miss Mamie Riggan, daughter of John T. Riggen, who presented the pulpit furniture. The carpet was donated by G.S. Griffith. One Thousand dollars was raised by the members of the Third Reformed Church. Other gifts included a clock from Mr. William Miller, a secretary from Mr. Oscar Knoske and a bible from the King’s Daughters of First Reformed church.
The Rev. F. W. Bald was installed as the first pastor on May 3, 1896. They immediately began a building fund. It was a success and a stone chapel was dedicated on December 13, 1896. It seated three hundred people and cost $5,400.
The old church is scheduled to be razed and to make room for a residential development.
Rev. Bald served Grace until February, 1901. He was born in Baltimore and attended City College. He attended the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church at Lancaster, PA. Under his management Grace increased from 29 members to 150 and a Sunday school attendance of 100 to 350 members. The elders of the church at this time were Herman L. Boeschee and Charles Knoske and the deacons were William Miller and Frank Jennings.
The second church was built and dedicated in 1928. It is located in historic Federal Hill at 1404 S. Charles Street in Baltimore. It is 13th century Gothic architecture.
The old church was scheduled to be razed to make room for residential development.
Unfortunately, it would appear that the new church is also being sold. An article found on June 21, 2016 indicates that the church is being sold. It is on the market for $950,000 and it would appear they already had an interested buyer. The article goes on to state that this is a 'continuing trend' in the area and many churches have been sold and repurposed or demolished. It further stated that this church probably would not be made into a residential building.
Can't help but wonder how the world would be if our churches were still full.
Church Website: http://myamazinggrace.org/
Pastor Jennifer K. Knighton
- · Rev. Frederick W. Bald (1895-1901)
- · Rev. Robert J. Pilgrim (1901-
- · Rev. E. F. Hofmeier (1910
- · Rev. Samuel Troxell (1928)
 Baltimore Sunpaper, A New House of Worship, December 14, 1896, page 10
 Baltimore Sunpaper, Two Ministers Resign, January 21, 1901, page 12.