New Cathedral


New Cathedral Cemetery includes a combination of three old cemeteries.

  • St. Peter’s Kirkyard (1770-1841) at Cathedral and Saratoga Streets.
  • Old Cathedral (1816-1887) Riggs and Fremont Avenues
  • St. Patrick’s (-1936) Orleans Street

In 1816, the Cathedral Cemetery was opened at Riggs Avenue (formerly Tenant Street), Winchester Street and Fremont Avenues. Those interred at St. Peter’s were relocated to the Cathedral Cemetery. In 1869 again the space filled so Cathedral became ‘Old Cathedral’ and the Archdiocese of Baltimore purchased forty acres of land of what was outside the city line. The land was located at the junction of Old Frederick Road and Edmondson Avenue for the site of a new cemetery.

First known as Bonnie Brae (beautiful slope), it is now known as New Cathedral Cemetery and is comprised of 100 acres. It took several years to re-located everyone from Cathedral to the New Cathedral. The old cemetery was sold soon after the new cemetery opened. Unless families made other arrangements, the remains were transferred out to New Cathedral. Information that was included at the time of re-interment was name of the deceased, date of re-interment, last known address, cemetery lot, section and grave number, and, sometimes, cause of death. (Original death and burial dates are not recorded here). Limited numbers of headstones from the old to the new were transferred. The remains are limited for the most part to one letter section of New Cathedral.

Records for these interments are available on microfilm at the Associated Archives at St. Mary's Seminary and University, the Maryland State Archives, and the Maryland Historical Society. They are also available in published form at the Mary land Historical Society under the title Old Cathedral Burial Records, Baltimore, Maryland, 4 vols., which covers the time period 1793-1874 and includes the records for St. Peter's (1770-1841). These records can also be found in Burials in Cathedral and Cathedral Cemeteries, Baltimore Maryland, 1791-1874 (Westminster, MD: Heritage Books, 2004), compiled by Hans Grogaard and Mary Warfield. Please note that the death register that covers the time period 1875-1922 has been lost. Records located at New Cathedral consists of plot books and interment registers (arranged chronologically and alphabetically).

In 1936, St. Patrick’s Cemetery was moved from Orleans Street to a new section in New Cathedral appropriately named “St. Patrick.”

The cemetery purchased an additional eighty-five acres assuring plenty of room for future generations.

Photos from our visits

Transcriptions from our visits on 6-15-2013 & 3-9-2014

New Cathedral Cemetery contact information:


4300 Old Frederick Rd.

Baltimore, MD. 21229

Phone: 410-566-7770

Fax: 410-566-0709