Christ United Church-Baltimore
Christ United Church-Locust Point, Baltimore
Sources: Church Website: http://christuccbaltimore.org/
’To the Point’-Locust Point Civic Association, Volume 2, Issue 5 (June 1, 2007)
History of Baltimore 1729-1898, Elliott (Published 1898 S.B. Nelson, Publisher)
Christ Church, also known as "The Little German Church", has been a vital part of the Locust Point community in Baltimore for 125 years. It was founded in 1886 as the “Vereinigte Evangelische Christus Gemeinde” (United Evangelical Community Church of Christ). [Elliott indicates that the church was founded in 1887 by Rev. E. Huber of St. Matthews] At that time, they were affiliated with the Reformed Church of the United States. It was officially dedicated on June 9, 1888 and the actual facade and church itself hasn’t changed much from the original. It was built by M.F. Decker and the first pastor was Rev. W. Batz. The church was designed by Pastor Eduard Huber of St. Matthews United Evangelical and Reformed Church.
Prior to 1910 all services were given in German; after that time, services were given in English and German. In 1941, the Evangelical Synod of North America and the Reformed Church in the U.S. merged and the church adopted a new constitution and changed its name to Christ Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1972, it became the Christ Evangelical and Reformed Church, United Church of Christ and became affiliated with the United Church of Christ.
They are one of the ‘best kept secrets’ in Baltimore. The little house next to the church served as an ‘immigrant house’ and hosted German, Polish and Irish immigrants until they were able to begin on their own. The house, ‘The Evangelical Immigrant and Seamen’s Home’ was opened in 1904 with the purpose of assisting immigrants and seamen traveling through Baltimore. Here they could get lodging, spiritual guidance and their meals. The mission was active from 1904 to 1939. After WWII, the mission was used by truckers transporting goods to and from Locust Point. The mission closed in 1950. It is being used as a Sunday School facility. Baltimore plans to put the church on their ‘immigration tour’. Both the Immigration House and sanctuary are preserved, and give a true sense of the hope and excitement felt by families living there so long ago. The church plans to restore the original front porch and reserve a part of the second floor as a public museum. [Elliott states that the church was built in connection with the Emigrant's Mission]
Christ Church's roots go back to their predecessor denominations: The Evangelical Synod of North America and its merger with the Reformed Church in the United States to form a new denomination, the Evangelical and Reformed Church, in 1934. The church was built in connection with the Emigrant's Mission, and was under the missionary of that institution at the turn of the last century, who was Rev. H. Dalhof.
1308 Beason Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Rev. W. Batz
Rev. H. Dalhof